Texas Republicans are adding fuel to the GOP voter suppression fire with a new law that promises to "preserve the purity of the ballot box"-- a phrase that has been used throughout the country's history to disenfranchise voters "deem[ed] unfit" to vote.
Since the Civil War, racist lawmakers have used those words to disenfranchise Black voters, as Democratic Texas state Rep. Rafael Anchía so eloquently pointed out to a clueless Republican.
"Are you aware of the history behind that provision of the [Texas state] Constitution?" Rep. Anchía asked Republican Rep. Briscoe Cain.
"I-I'm not," Cain answers.
Should've done more research, huh? Watch him endure the embarrassment he earned.
Texas Republicans intro'd new voting restrictions to 'preserve the purity of the ballot box.' This state rep grilled them on the term's nasty history
- Sore Loser Republicans Whining About 'Secession' Again - National ... ›
- Republican Legislators Rigging Electoral Votes To Insure GOP Wins ... ›
- Can GOP Autocracy Outlaw American Democracy? - National Memo ›
- Former Candidate Blurts The Ugly Truth About GOP Voter ... ›
- How Florida GOP's Voter Suppression Could Backfire Badly ... ›
- Partisan Battles In Swing States Are Costing Democracy Dearly ... ›
- Trump's Voter Fraud Probe Serves As A Dog Whistle For Voter ... ›
- New Poll: 'Sizable Majorities' Favor Voting Rights And Oppose GOP ... ›
- Danziger Draws - National Memo ›
- #EndorseThis: CNN Exposes Dark Money Outfit Boasting About Voter Suppression ›
- Texas GOP Enacts ‘Ruthless’ Voter Suppression, Sparking Calls For Federal Action - National Memo ›
- Texas Attorney General Admits Voter Suppression Saved State For Trump - National Memo ›
- Texas GOP launches avalanche of bills to curtail voting ›
- Texas Senate Joins GOP Voter Suppression Push, Passes ... ›
- Texas Republicans target Houston with raft of bills seeking new ... ›
- Texas GOP's voting restriction bill passes House ›
- Texas voting restrictions bill gets House OK, headed for negotiations ... ›
- Texas Republicans Are Taking Voter Suppression to the Next Level ... ›
- Texas GOP voting restrictions: Color blind or "Jim Crow in a tuxedo ... ›