The National  Memo Logo

Smart. Sharp. Funny. Fearless.

Monday, December 09, 2019 {{ new Date().getDay() }}

WASHINGTON (AFP) – The United States is pressing ahead with plans to deliver four F-16 fighters to Egypt despite a military coup against President Mohammed Morsi, a U.S. official said Thursday.

“It’s still the status quo,” the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, told AFP.

There was no decision to halt the scheduled transfer of the warplanes or to cut off other security assistance to Egypt, the official said, even though the government has announced a review of all aid to Cairo.

President Barack Obama’s administration has said it is examining whether the military takeover constitutes a coup, which under U.S. law would force Washington to freeze any aid to Egypt.

The Pentagon said it remains dedicated to maintaining longstanding military ties with Egypt and that the United States wants to see a prompt return to civilian, democratic rule.

“Looking forward, we will work with the Egyptian people to support a quick and responsible return to a sustainable, democratically elected civilian government,” the Pentagon said in a statement. “Given the events of last week, the president has directed relevant departments and agencies to review our assistance to the government of Egypt.”

The F-16s are part of an arms deal with Egypt approved in 2010 that calls for the supply of 20 of the fighter jets.

Eight of the warplanes were delivered earlier this year and four more are scheduled to be delivered in August, with another eight due later in the year, officials said.

Egypt has received more than 220 F-16 fighters since 1980 and has the world’s fourth largest F-16 fleet, behind the United States, Israel and Turkey.

With Egypt gripped by intense political turmoil, the Obama administration has relied on the U.S. military’s deep ties with the Egyptian armed forces as its main channel for diplomacy and communication.

Since July 2, Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel has had eight phone conversations with Egyptian army chief General Abdel Fattah al-Sisi, including one that lasted 45 minutes, Pentagon spokesman George Little told reporters.

“We believe that it’s appropriate to use this important channel we have with the Egyptians to convey our insights, thoughts and our views on the situation that’s occurring in Egypt,” Little said Wednesday.

The United States provides $1.5 billion of mostly military aid to Egypt every year.

Start your day with National Memo Newsletter

Know first.

The opinions that matter. Delivered to your inbox every morning

Mark Meadows

Reprinted with permission from Alternet

Legal experts including a Harvard professor and a top election and voting rights attorney are weighing in on Sunday night's bombshell report from Rolling Stone naming members of Congress and the Trump administration who were involved in the planning and organizing of the January 6 rally and/or "Trump's efforts to overturn his election loss," according to two of the planners of the "Stop the Steal" rally.

Keep reading... Show less

Reps. Lauren Boebert, Louie Gohmert and Andy Biggs

Reprinted with permission from DailyKos

Several House Republicans—exactly the ones you would guess—were involved in planning meetings for protests on January 6 as Trump supporters tried to block the certification of the 2020 election and with it, Donald Trump's loss, two sources have detailed to Rolling Stone.
Keep reading... Show less
x
{{ post.roar_specific_data.api_data.analytics }}