The National  Memo Logo

Smart. Sharp. Funny. Fearless.

Monday, December 09, 2019

U.S. Sues New York City Over Treatment Of Young Rikers Island Inmates

By Kurtis Lee, Los Angeles Times (TNS)

Federal prosecutors sued New York City on Thursday over its handling of violence against young inmates held on Rikers Island.

The lawsuit, filed by U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara in the Southern District of New York, seeks to speed reforms to the jail complex following a Justice Department report released in August that found “Rikers is a dangerous place for adolescents” where a “pervasive climate of fear exists.”

In the lawsuit, Bharara and U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder said young inmates were being “subjected to unconstitutional conditions and confinement.”

In the 79-page August report, Bharara said there were 1,050 cases of young prisoners injured in the past two years. In almost half of such incidents in the past year, the inmates required emergency care, according to the report. Shortly after the release of the report, Holder said his department would work closely with New York City officials to make improvements to the jail.

Allegations of abuse at Rikers Island — New York City’s main jail complex, which houses juveniles, men and women in separate wards — go back at least two decades, when an officer, according to the August report, created an enforcement gang of teenage prisoners called “the Program” and let them beat fellow teenage inmates in order to help control the inmate population.

New York Mayor Bill de Blasio toured Rikers Island this week and announced the city would end solitary confinement for 16- and 17-year-olds by the end of the year.

“By ending the use of punitive segregation for adolescents, we are shifting away from a jail system that punishes its youngest inmates, to one that is focused on rehabilitation with the goal of helping put these young New Yorkers on the path to better outcomes,” de Blasio said in a statement Wednesday.

Photo: Tim Rodenberg via Flickr

Advertising

Start your day with National Memo Newsletter

Know first.

The opinions that matter. Delivered to your inbox every morning

This is the first of what is sure to be way too many campaign columns to come. If you’d like them to land in your email inbox every time I write one, please buy a subscription.

Keep reading...Show less

Tape of home invasion attack on Nancy Pelosi's husband Paul Pelosi

Youtube Screenshot

Video released Friday of the harrowing home invasion and assault that nearly killed then-Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s husband in October brought little in the way of self-reflection or regret from far-right Internet trolls and Fox News stars who spent months baselessly insisting that the attack had actually resulted from a gay tryst gone wrong. Instead, the denizens of the right-wing conspiracy theory ecosystem either claimed that the new evidence proved that they were right all along, or used it to float additional conspiracy theories about why it hadn’t been released earlier.

The key facts were available within hours of the October 28, 2022, attack. Law enforcement swiftly alleged that David DePape broke into the Democratic leader’s home in the middle of the night seeking to harm her and pummeled her 82-year-old husband Paul, sending him to the hospital for emergency surgery. Journalists who reviewed DePape’s Internet history subsequently revealed that he had been radicalized online and espoused a wide array of right-wing conspiracy theories, including QAnon.

Keep reading...Show less
{{ post.roar_specific_data.api_data.analytics }}