The National  Memo Logo

Smart. Sharp. Funny. Fearless.

Monday, December 09, 2019 {{ new Date().getDay() }}

‘Nobody Should Have To Be Living Like This,’ Residents Of Flint Say

By Elisha Anderson, Detroit Free Press (TNS)

FLINT, Mich. — Ariana Hawk heated a bowl of distilled water in the microwave, dipped a washcloth in it and wiped her 2-year-old son’s itchy, irritated skin.

She said she has been cleaning Sincere Smith’s body this way — or with wet wipes — since last summer, because the boy’s doctor doesn’t want him bathing in the tap water at their Flint home.

“I can’t afford to go buy 20 gallons of water just to bathe him one time,” said Hawk, a 25-year-old single mother of three who attends Mott Community College and is pregnant.

Sincere has rough patches of skin on his legs, arms and face, she explained, adding that his skin condition started with a rash on his stomach after Flint switched it water supply source from Lake Huron to the more polluted and corrosive Flint River in April 2014 while under control of a state-appointed emergency manager.

Hawk blames the water for her middle child’s suffering and plans to sue.

“We get treated like … we don’t matter,” she said. “That’s how it’s been feeling.”

Residents across Flint — some of whom stopped using the water immediately after the cost-saving change because of its smell, color, taste and source and others who continued to drink and cook with it — echo her frustration.

People, pets, even plants have been affected by the poisonous, lead-contaminated water, they said.

Community members feel betrayed, worried, angry, sad and stressed and are bracing for what will happen next in Flint, a city with 99,000 residents, 40 percent of whom live in poverty.

The city has seen a spike in the levels of lead in children’s blood. Lead poisoning, experts say, affects IQs and has lifelong impacts, including learning disabilities, speech and language problems, and an increased risk for behavioral issues.

“This is a population-wide exposure,” said Hurley Children’s Hospital pediatrician Dr. Mona Hanna-Attisha.

Kids absorb lead more easily and have been exposed to lead if they drank Flint water since April 2014, health officials said.

“I love my kids,” said Pamela Battle. “I want them to grow up like I grew up … wasn’t no worries about no water.”

Battle, whose seven children range in age from 1 to 16, said she got a water filter Monday. Before that, she was using water from her faucet to cook, make Kool-Aid and put it in bottles for her two youngest children.

“We were drinking it regularly,” said Battle, 36. “The whole family. Everyone here.”

The water in her previous home was discolored and tasted terrible, she said, but when she moved to her house on Chambers in December 2014, the water came out of the faucet clear and tasted fine. She said she didn’t realize there was an issue.

At the urging of her mother, Battle went to Freeman Elementary School last Tuesday with some of her kids to get their blood checked for lead. The school hosted an event where she learned about lead poisoning and its effects on children.

“I’m really concerned now,” she said.

Battle said she has no choice but to stay in Flint with her children and live with the water crisis. Others have had enough and plan to leave.

Kerry Wheeler, 45, said she, her 11-year-old daughter and their dog are moving to Taylor to escape the water situation.

Shortly after she moved into her Flint apartment on Alvord Avenue last fall, her active dog became lethargic, wouldn’t eat and started vomiting. Wheeler took the 10-year-old boxer named Beast to the veterinarian and was told to give him bottled water.

“Once I switched him to bottled water, he perked right back up after a couple days,” she said.

Water in her home has varied from clear or cloudy to brown or yellow. At times, it has been so discolored, she refused to let her daughter bathe in it, opting for wipes instead, she said.

“Nobody should have to be living like this,” Wheeler said.

Gov. Rick Snyder declared a state of emergency Jan. 5 and acknowledged that actions taken by the state have not been good enough at a Jan. 11 news conference, saying “more work needs to be done with more urgency.”

State efforts were ramped up this week to get free bottled water, filters, replacement cartridges and water testing kits in the hands of Flint residents. Members of the Michigan National Guard have been deployed to Flint, and Snyder requested federal help for the water crisis.

On Saturday, President Barack Obama declared a federal emergency in Flint and ordered federal aid to help.

Throughout last week, people lined up to pick up free water and filters at fire stations, and more free supplies have been passed out door-to-door by Michigan State Police troopers, volunteers and others.

“It’s that kind of door-to-door contact that’s important right now, so people know that we’re committed to their health and their safety,” Snyder spokesman Dave Murray said Friday.

Flint Mayor Karen Weaver said Thursday night that the city has made progress but needs more people to help with the efforts.

“We’re starting to get what we need … but these are Band-Aids, and we need the Band-Aids because as long as we can’t drink the water, we have to have bottled water. We have to have filters,” Weaver said.

The state helped the city move its source of water back to Lake Huron water supplied by Detroit in October, but concerns about contamination remain because the Flint River water damaged pipes and other infrastructure. Dan Wyant, the former head of the state Department of Environmental Quality resigned last month. The agency failed to require the addition of anticorrosive chemicals to the water.

Snyder has repeatedly apologized for the state’s role in the water crisis, but many say he still hasn’t done enough.

“That apology ain’t going to help these kids,” said Hawk, who said she doesn’t know what her children may face because of their exposure to lead. “That apology’s not going to help the families that’s suffering.”

Weaver said the ultimate solution is to fix the infrastructure and provide long-term help for all of the people impacted in the city where public trust has been shattered.

“We didn’t deserve to be in this position, in this situation,” she said. “And what happened here in Flint should never happen to any community.”

©2016 Detroit Free Press. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

Photo: Sincere Smith, 2, of Flint, Mich., is one of three children living with his single mom Ariana Hawk, 25. He is suffering from a severe skin rash that his mother believes is due to bathing in the contaminated Flint water. (Regina H. Boone/Detroit Free Press/TNS)

Man Accused Of Attacking Soccer Referee ‘Extremely Remorseful,’ Attorney Says

By Elisha Anderson, Detroit Free Press

LIVONIA, Mich. — The 36-year-old Dearborn, Mich., man accused of punching a soccer referee who later died appeared in a Livonia courtroom Thursday to be arraigned on a charge of second-degree murder.

Bassel Saad wore a white T-shirt and black pants and kept his head down most of the time.

He answered “yes” to several of the questions asked by 16th District Judge Kathleen McCann, who wanted to make sure he understood his rights. She entered a plea of not guilty for Saad.

“This is a horrendous tragedy,” McCann said of the case.

The judge ordered bond to be kept at $1 million cash/surety after Saad’s defense attorney asked for it to be lowered and prosecutors argued for it to remain at that level.

The original charge Saad was facing — assault with intent to do great bodily harm — was dismissed.

Prosecutors amended the charge against Saad after the death of John Bieniewicz.

“Our hearts and our prayers are with the family,” Saad’s new attorney Ali Hammoud said after the hearing.

He said Saad is “extremely remorseful” and has been crying since the incident. Hammoud said his client is a father of two girls, owns his own business, and has no felony record. Friends and family were in the courtroom to support him, but declined comment after the hearing.

Witnesses told the Detroit Free Press that Saad was about to be ejected from a soccer game being played in Livonia when he punched Bieniewicz, who was refereeing the contest.

Bieniewicz of Westland, Mich. died on July 1, two days after he was knocked unconscious. He was married with two sons, ages 9 and 13.

“The alleged actions of this defendant cannot be tolerated and there must be action taken in our legislature to make sure that there are stronger penalties when a referee is the victim during organized sport,” Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy said in a statement Wednesday.

Hammoud declined to comment on what course the defense will take in this case, but said he is awaiting additional evidence, including the medical examiner’s report.

According to the Wayne County Medical Examiner’s Office, Bieniewicz died from blunt force trauma to the neck and his death was ruled a homicide.

A preliminary examination in the case is scheduled for July 30 at 1 p.m.

Photo via WikiCommons

Interested in national news? Sign up for our daily email newsletter!