House Republicans Launch ’Nakedly Nativist’ America First Caucus
Reprinted with permission from Alternet
Although former President Donald Trump has been gone from the White House for almost three months, many far-right Republicans in Congress continue to push an equally nativist "America first" agenda — and Punchbowl News is reporting that some of Trump's Republican allies in the House of Representatives are putting together an "America First Caucus" based on "Anglo-Saxon political traditions."
According to Punchbowl, Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene of Georgia and Rep. Paul Gosar of Arizona are "distributing materials" calling for a caucus that would express a "common respect for uniquely Anglo-Saxon political traditions." Punchbowl reports that according to an e-mail invitation it has obtained, House Republicans who have been invited to join the America First Caucus include Rep. Louie Gohmert of Texas and Rep. Barry Moore of Alabama.
NEW In @PunchbowlNews Midday A new America First Caucus — led by @mtgreenee and @RepGosar — is recruiting people t… https://t.co/IPSrNIeUna— Punchbowl News (@Punchbowl News) 1618592719
"We've been covering Congress for a long time, and this is some of the most nakedly nativist rhetoric we've ever seen," Punchbowl reports.
The e-mail, according to Punchbowl, is trying to recruit House Republicans who are willing to "follow in President Trump's footsteps." The pitch reads, "History has shown that societal trust and political unity are threatened when foreign citizens are imported en masse into a country, particularly without institutional support for assimilation and an expansive welfare state to bail them out should they fail to positively contribute to the country."
Elections Daily's Eric Cunningham tweeted that even Gohmert found some of the anti-immigrant rhetoric in a description of the America First Caucus troubling:
When you’ve lost Louie Gohmert... https://t.co/ddO7jObR0O— Eric Cunningham (@Eric Cunningham) 1618601100
Politico reporter Andrew Desiderio notes:
Steve King was basically excommunicated from the House GOP for this kind of language. Now there’s going to be a “c… https://t.co/1L7gmMBBkp— Andrew Desiderio (@Andrew Desiderio) 1618593592
- Trumpists Suffer Humiliating Defeat Over Ouster Of Rep. Cheney ... ›
- Trump Gang Tries To Punish Rep. Cheney For Impeachment — And ... ›
- Annual Far-Right Conclave To Feature GOP Hopefuls, Riot ... ›
- Boss Trump, America's Biggest Crybaby, And His Whining Imitators ... ›
- Far-Right House Freedom Caucus Splits Over Obstruction Strategy ... ›
- Destroying Conservatism Will Be Marjorie Taylor Greene's Only ... ›
- Greene Drops Plan For ‘America First’ Caucus After Backlash - National Memo ›
- Danziger Draws - National Memo ›
- VIDEO: Republicans Drop Dog Whistles For White Nationalist Bullhorn - National Memo ›
- When 'America First' Is A Ticket To Last Place - National Memo ›
- ‘Traitor’: Gosar’s Family Urges His Expulsion From Congress - National Memo ›
- Paul Gosar promoting 'Anglo-Saxon' ideas in new America First ... ›
- U.S. House Republican effort to form 'America First' caucus raises ... ›
- Marjorie Taylor Greene launching 'America First' caucus pushing for ... ›
- America First Caucus Policy Platform FINAL ›
- The first four caucus and primary states don't look like America - The ... ›
- Marjorie Taylor Greene Reportedly Forming Caucus To Promote ... ›
- 'America First Caucus' Tied to Marjorie Greene Spews Creepy ... ›
- GOP 'America First Caucus' Calls for 'Anglo-Saxon Political Traditions' ›