Reprinted with permission from American Independent
Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-GA) said she is not recruiting members for the so-called "America First Caucus," after members of Congress from both sides of the aisle condemned the caucus's overtly racist and white supremacist platform.
A spokesperson for Greene, Nick Dyer, told CNN on Sunday that Greene was "not launching anything," and even tried to distance the Georgia Republican from the offensive rhetoric in the caucus platform that Greene had been sending around.
Dyer told CNN that Greene "didn't approve that language and has no plans to launch anything."
It's a clear reversal from Greene's comments on Friday, when Dyer told reporters that Greene would be launching the caucus "very soon," after Punchbowl News first obtained the caucus platform.
And after the racist platform for the group was leaked, Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-FL) quickly said he was "proud to join @mtgreenee in the #AmericaFirst Caucus."
But the backlash to the caucus — which espoused the white supremacist "Great Replacement" theory that says non-white immigrants pose a threat to the white race — was swift.
Democratic members of Congress did not mince words.
"The Civil War is over and the racists lost. But some House Republicans are still fighting the battle. That's what the so-called America First Caucus is all about," Rep. Hakeem Jeffries (D-NY), chair of the House Democratic Caucus, tweeted on Saturday.
"A more accurate name for new organization of House Republicans led by Marjorie Taylor Greene would be the White Supremacist Caucus," Rep. Don Beyer (D-VA) tweeted on Friday.
Even Republicans condemned the effort.
House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy — who once said Greene made the House Republican conference "diverse" and the country should give her an "opportunity" — condemned her group shortly after news of its existence broke.
McCarthy tweeted on Friday: "America is built on the idea that we are all created equal and success is earned through honest, hard work. It isn't built on identity, race, or religion. The Republican Party is the party of Lincoln & the party of more opportunity for all Americans — not nativist dog whistles."
Meanwhile, Rep. Barry Moore (R-AL), one of the Republicans who Punchbowl News reported had agreed to join the caucus, also distanced himself.
"I fully support President Trump's America First agenda & policies that prioritize hardworking Americans. But I will not agree to join any caucus until I've had an opportunity to research their platform — which I haven't done with the AmericaFirst Caucus & therefore haven't joined," Moore tweeted on Saturday.
Greene's apparently failed attempt at launching a white supremacist caucus within the House is just the latest in a string of problems she's caused her party since she first came to Congress in January.
Published with permission of The American Independent Foundation.
- Annual Far-Right Conclave To Feature GOP Hopefuls, Riot ... ›
- Trumpists Suffer Humiliating Defeat Over Ouster Of Rep. Cheney ... ›
- House Republicans Launch 'Nakedly Nativist' America First Caucus ... ›
- Destroying Conservatism Will Be Marjorie Taylor Greene's Only ... ›
- Greene Pipes Up With 'Support Matt Gaetz' As Scandal Swamps ... ›
- Rep. Greene Mocks Trans Pride Flag Outside Of Her Office ... ›
- QAnon Rep. Greene Endorsed Murder Of Pelosi On Facebook ... ›
- Rep. Greene Thinks U.S. Territory Guam Gets Too Much 'Foreign ... ›
- Danziger Draws - National Memo ›
- Greene Objects To FBI ‘Targeting’ Capitol Rioters - National Memo ›
- When 'America First' Is A Ticket To Last Place - National Memo ›
- VIDEO: Greene Insists Jan. 6 Insurrection ‘Was Not An Insurrection’ - National Memo ›
- Greene Aggressively Accosts AOC Outside Capitol, Raising Safety Concerns - National Memo ›
- Danziger Draws - National Memo ›
- Did Greene Violate Federal Law In Her New SuperPAC Ad? - National Memo ›
- Gaetz And Greene’s ‘America First’ Tour Booted Out Of Three Venues - National Memo ›
- Greene Denounces Christian Churches As ‘Basically Dead’ ›
- Gaetz And Greene 'America First' Tour Is A Fundraising Disaster - National Memo ›
- House GOP Group Drops Plan to Establish 'America First' Caucus ... ›
- Conservative U.S. House Republicans to form 'America First' caucus ... ›
- America First Caucus Policy Platform FINAL ›
- Marjorie Taylor Greene scraps planned launch of controversial ... ›
- Marjorie Taylor Greene Calls Off America First Caucus Following ... ›
- Trump loyalists start America First Caucus to promote 'uniquely ... ›
- America First Caucus a crazy idea, John Boehner says - POLITICO ›
- America First Caucus fuels division among Republicans ›