Reprinted with permission from American Independent
Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-GA) on Wednesday said that she did not believe that the riot by supporters of Donald Trump at the U.S. Capitol on January 6 was an insurrection.
Greene made her remarks during a town hall meeting in Rockmart, Georgia, explaining why she voted against a House resolution honoring the Capitol Police who responded to the attack.
"The language in that bill, number one, declared every single person at the Capitol there that day on January 6 an 'insurrectionist,'" said Greene. "And I do not believe that that was insurrection. I'm not going to label people that way, OK?"
Five people died as a result of the rioting, which occurred after a "Stop the Steal" rally headlined by Donald Trump at which he falsely claimed that he had won the 2020 presidential election.
Before the attack, Greene made similarly untrue allegations and attended other "Stop the Steal" rallies in the days following Trump's election loss.
On November 6, 2020, Greene tweeted, "The time to STAND UP for @realDonaldTrump is RIGHT NOW! Republicans can't back down. This loser mindset is how the Democrats win. President Trump has fought for us, we have to fight for him. We won't forget."
From a May 5 town hall meeting:
MARJORIE TAYLOR GREENE: So they awarded the Capitol Police, recently, for their work on January 6. I tell you, I couldn't vote for it and I'll tell you why, and I had a hard time with not voting for it, but here's why.
The language in that bill, number one, declared every single person at the Capitol there that day on Januiary 6 an "insurrectionist." And I do not believe that that was insurrection. I'm not going to label people that way, OK?
There have been riots and acts of terror all year long in American cities and we need to address — if we're going to address issues, we need to address all the issues.
Published with permission of The American Independent Foundation.
- Former GOP Speaker: Trump Lies 'Incited That Bloody Insurrection ... ›
- Astroturf Money: How Hawley And Greene Jacked Their Fundraising ... ›
- #EndorseThis: Plaskett Proves Trump Was 'Directly Involved' In ... ›
- Post-Insurrection Crackdown On Criminal Extremists Is Gathering ... ›
- Notorious White Nationalists Identified In Capitol Rioting - National ... ›
- Greene Drops Plan For 'America First' Caucus After Backlash ... ›
- WATCH: Video Surfaces Of Rep. Greene Harassing Parkland ... ›
- Violence-Prone Capitol Rioter Harassed Omar And Tlaib With ... ›
- QAnon's Rep. Greene Endorsed 9/11 And School Shooting ... ›
- Greene Objects To FBI 'Targeting' Capitol Rioters - National Memo ›
- Anthony Aguero: Videos show ally of Marjorie Taylor Greene among ... ›
- Marjorie Taylor Greene hit by furious backlash after sharing ... ›
- Marjorie Taylor Greene Whines: Capitol Riot 'RUINED' Our Plot to ... ›
- Marjorie Taylor Greene says she was victim of Capitol riot - New ... ›
- Marjorie Taylor Greene's close ally Anthony Aguero among those in ... ›
- Marjorie Taylor Greene's Friend Took Part in Capitol Riot, Disputes ... ›