Reprinted with permission from Alternet
Former Republican Speaker of the House John Boehner is blasting Donald Trump, laying blame for the deadly January 6 insurrection squarely at the former Republican President's feet. True to form, Trump and his team punched back below the belt.
The New York Times reports Boehner writes in his new book that Trump "incited that bloody insurrection for nothing more than selfish reasons, perpetuated by the bullshit he'd been shoveling since he lost a fair election the previous November."
"He claimed voter fraud without any evidence, and repeated those claims, taking advantage of the trust placed in him by his supporters and ultimately betraying that trust."
Boehner, whose tenure as Speaker was focused on trying to first tamp down then ride the Tea Party wave and the growth in power of the far right House Republican Study Committee. He was unsuccessful, and exited in 2015, the same year the even more extreme House Republican Freedom Caucus formed, and Donald Trump launched his presidential campaign.
He is now warning the GOP it must "take back control from the faction that had grown to include everyone from garden-variety whack jobs to insurrectionists."
It does not appear that will happen. Just as the extremist Tea Party took over the Republican Party, Trump, Trumpism, and his MAGA acolytes have already taken control of the GOP.
In typical Trumpian fashion, the Times reports, the former president's current spokesperson, Jason Miller, "called Mr. Boehner a 'Swamp Creature' and accused him of favoring 'Communist China' (The former speaker's lobbying firm represents the Chinese Embassy in the United States). In a separate email to the Times, Mr. Trump asked of Mr. Boehner, whose love of merlot wine is legendary in Washington: 'Was he drinking when he made this statement? Just another RINO who couldn't do the job!'"
- Former GOP Speaker Denounces 'Reckless A-hole' Cruz In New ... ›
- Danziger Draws - National Memo ›
- Why Hasn't The Tea Party Returned To Protest Biden's Big Spending? - National Memo ›
- VIDEO: Greene Insists Jan. 6 Insurrection ‘Was Not An Insurrection’ - National Memo ›
- ‘Kick-Ass’ Mo Brooks Dodges Lawsuit Over Jan. 6 Incitement - National Memo ›
- VIDEO: At Jan. 6 Hearing, Republicans Praise Rioters And Push Lies - National Memo ›
- For Defending Capitol Rioters, Rep. Gosar Faces Censure And Shunning - National Memo ›
- Mo Brooks Erupts When Served In Capitol Riot Lawsuit - National Memo ›
- Poll: You Won’t Believe What GOP Voters Say They Believe. Really. - National Memo ›
- Pushing Big Lie, Brooks Says Trump Urged His Violent Jan. 6 Speech - National Memo ›
- Are We Ever Going To Hold Anyone Accountable In America? ›
- Boehner: Trump Incited Capitol Riot Via 'Bullshit He'd Been Shoveling' ›
- John Boehner book: Trump incited Capitol riot - Chicago Tribune ›
- Former House speaker John Boehner to congressional Republicans ... ›
- US Republicans condemn Trump's role in Capitol insurrection | US ... ›
- John Boehner wants to rename a room in the Capitol before he ... ›
- 'Disgusted': Companies, business groups decry 'lawless' mob ... ›
- John Boehner tells Ted Cruz to go 'f*** himself' in unscripted ... ›
- Boehner Blasts Trump, Saying He 'Incited That Bloody Insurrection ... ›
- John Boehner: Trump should 'consider resigning' ›
- Ex-Speaker Boehner after Capitol violence: 'The GOP must awaken ... ›