Reprinted with permission from Alternet
Former President Donald Trump was relentless in his efforts to overturn the presidential election. Although he has adamantly insisted that his actions were not an attempt at a coup, there is reportedly evidence indicating that it was. According to The Daily Beast, details have been revealed about Trump's phone call that may have led to the attempted coup at the U.S. Capitol.
The Department of Justice has provided Congress with documentation of the call Trump placed to outline his grievances of presumed voter fraud. At the time, the call had been taken by Acting. Attorney General Jeffrey Rosen.
Per the publication:
"According to documents that the Justice Department has now turned over to Congress, and that were made public for the first time on Friday, Trump called to discuss his phony voter fraud claims, as if the very political William Barr hadn't conceded, on his way out the door, that despite looking, he'd found none."
With no real evidence of voter fraud, Beast columnist Margaret Carlson notes how Trump turned to what she describes as his "people tell me" tactic.
At the time, Trump reportedly claimed:
"Thousands of people' called, complaining to him about the election, the inaction of DOJ, and how none of them 'trust the FBI." Other "people" say how great Jeff Clark is, as in the acting chief of the civil division who supported all things Trump. People wanted Trump to "replace DOJ leadership" with him.
The publically released details about the phone call "are a roadmap to Trump's twisted thinking," the writer explains. Trump claimed he could get a number of so-called "allies" on board to back his claims of voter fraud if he could just get the Department of Justice to sign off in support of his mission. Disturbingly, the majority of House Republican lawmakers had no problem blindly following the embattled former president which only caused more chaos.
Despite his denial of an attempted coup, the details of the call indicate that Trump's actions were not just an example of an impulsive decision, but could rather be described as a twisted concoction of thinking he dwelled on before attempting to execute.
- Trump Urged Justice Department To Probe QAnon's Conspiracy ... ›
- 'Bombshell' Notes Expose Trump's Post-Election Scheme To Corrupt ... ›
- Trump Aide Meadows Pushed Election Conspiracies On Justice ... ›
- WATCH: Impeachment Trial Will Feature Video Of Trump's ... ›
- Former GOP Speaker: Trump Lies 'Incited That Bloody Insurrection ... ›
- Federal Judge Warns Trump May Be Held Liable For January 6 ... ›
- Emails Show Top Trump Aides Knew Violence Loomed On Jan. 6 ... ›
- Flynn Should Be Subject To Court Martial For 'Inciting Insurrection ... ›
- Trump, lawyer plotted to oust acting attorney general, undo 2020 ... ›
- Trump and Justice Dept. Lawyer Said to Have Plotted to Oust Acting ... ›
- Senators Call For President Trump To Be Held Accountable ... ›
- Trump Repeatedly Pressured DOJ to Help Overturn Election ›
- New Documents Show Trump Repeatedly Pressed DOJ to Overturn ... ›
- Trump to DOJ: 'Just say that the election was corrupt + leave the rest ... ›
- Christopher Miller, Trump's Pentagon chief, attributes Capitol breach ... ›
- Trump called acting AG Jeffrey Rosen repeatedly over false election ... ›