Reprinted with permission from Alternet
Former National Security Adviser Michael Flynn is among the far-right Republicans saying President Donald Trump should declare martial law and reconduct the 2020 election because of widespread voter fraud. Many elections officials and national security experts, however, have stressed that there is no evidence that such fraud occurred or that President-elect Joe Biden didn't win the 2020 presidential election fairly. And when Col. Lawrence B. Wilkerson, who served as chief of staff to former Secretary of State Colin Powell, spoke to MSNBC's Chris Hayes on Monday night, December 21, he expressed his outrage over Flynn's martial law suggestion and recommended that he face court martial.
Wilkerson told Hayes, "I have to commend all those people out there in every state who worked so hard to deliver a free and fair election. At the same time I saw that, I have to say my fears are somewhat significant with a former lieutenant general in the United States Army saying what Flynn said with regard to martial law and going to the battleground states and essentially reconducting the election. Were I the secretary of defense, I'd call him back to active duty — which is in the prerogative of the secretary of defense — and I'd court martial him."
The former Colin Powell chief of staff, who considers Flynn a "disgrace to his uniform," added, "at a minimum, I'd cite him for incitement to insurrection. This is not something that a military officer should do…. He needs to be rebuked. He needs to be reprimanded. And it needs to be done officially."
The 75-year-old Wilkerson was also highly critical of pro-Trump attorney Sidney Powell and former Breitbart Media Chairman Steve Bannon — two other extremists who have been making baseless claims of widespread voter fraud.
"These other people like Bannon and Powell and so forth, they're sycophants who are seeking whatever they can gain from the magic aura of this man before it dissipates. It frightens me as to the things they could do if the 25th Amendment or something like it is not implemented and we don't remove (Trump) from office."
- Trump Pentagon Nominee Promoted Calls For Martial Law On Twitter ›
- Trump And Attorneys Reportedly Discussed Imposing 'Martial Law ... ›
- Fascism Unmasked -- With A Trump Trademark - National Memo ›
- 'It's Nuts': GOP Rep.Kinzinger Blasts Flynn's Demand For Martial Law ›
- Michael Flynn Finally Admits He Lobbied For Turkey During Trump ... ›
- By Pardoning Flynn, Trump Underlines General's Guilt — And His Own ›
- How Michael Flynn Subverted Our Democracy - National Memo ›
- Sidney Powell, Flynn's New Lawyer, Is Conspiracy Theorist And Fox ... ›
- Military Brass On ‘Red Alert’ Over Potential Trump Threat To Democracy - National Memo ›
- Why America Must Hold Mike Flynn Accountable - National Memo ›
- CBS: Cabinet Members Discuss Trump's Removal Via 25th Amendment - National Memo ›
- FBI Warns Against Far-Right Violence In Every State Over Coming Weeks - National Memo ›
- Army Falsely Denied Role Of Flynn's Brother In 'Key' Phone Call During Capitol Riot - National Memo ›
- Prosecutor Says Capitol Rioters May Face Sedition Charges - National Memo ›
- Gen. Flynn Repeatedly Took Foreign Payments Despite Official Warnings - National Memo ›
- VIDEO: Michael Flynn Forgets How To Say The Pledge Of Allegiance - National Memo ›
- At QAnon Event, Flynn Says Myanmar-Style Military Coup 'Should' Happen In U.S. - National Memo ›
- Despite Videotaped Proof, Flynn Denies Urging Myanmar-Style Coup - National Memo ›
- Federal Officials Warn Of Violence Linked To Trump ‘Reinstatement’ - National Memo ›
- VIDEO: Flynn Jokes About Assassination While Brandishing Assault Rifle ›
- The Trump Phone Call That May Have Sparked Insurrection - National Memo ›
- Opinion | The Court-Martial of Donald J. Trump - The New York Times ›
- Michael Flynn should face court martial for 'incitement to insurrection ... ›
- Opinion: Any Marine Knows Retired Army Gen. Michael Flynn Is ... ›
- Judge dismisses Michael Flynn case after Trump pardon ›
- Karl Rove tears into Michael Flynn, Sidney Powell over election claims ›
- Trump pardons Michael Flynn, who twice pleaded guilty to lying to ... ›