Reprinted with permission from Alternet
Fired former Trump National Security Advisor and retired Lt. Gen. Mike Flynn is now denying he ever called for a violent Myanmar military-style coup in the U.S., despite numerous reports and video that prove he did.
Flynn reportedly told a QAnon audience in Dallas Sunday night that a coup "should happen here," according to CNN, which carefully said he "appeared to endorse a Myanmar-style coup in the United States on Sunday."
The Daily Beast reports Flynn "told a QAnon conference this weekend that he supports a violent military coup in the U.S."
Newsweek reports Flynn "said that a Myanmar-like military coup "should happen" in the U.S."
An attendee, according to video, had asked Flynn, "I want to know why what happened in Myanmar can't happen here?"
"No reason. I mean, it should happen here," Flynn said, as Go Local Prov and others reported.
Here's the video:
Video of Mike Flynn calling for a Myanmar-like coup to replace the sitting U.S. president with Trump www.youtube.com
On the social media platform Telegram, an account allegedly belonging to Flynn said: "Let me be VERY CLEAR – There is NO reason whatsoever for any coup in America, and I do not and have not at any time called for any action of that sort."
Any reporting of any other belief by me is a boldface fabrication based on twisted reporting at a lively panel at a conference of Patriotic Americans who love this country, just as I do.
Flynn now appears to suggest his words were misinterpreted or manipulated.
I am no stranger to media manipulating my words and therefore let me repeat my response to a question asked at the conference: There is no reason it (a coup) should happen here (in America).
The Atlantic's Tom Nichols posted a copy of Flynn's denial, and wrote: "People can watch the video and decide for themselves."
People can watch the video and decide for themselves. \n\nhttps://www.golocalprov.com/news/video-ris-flynn-says-myanmar-like-coup-should-happen-in-america-at-qanon-ev\u00a0\u2026https://twitter.com/dmb7490/status/1399444642698076160\u00a0\u2026— Tom Nichols (@Tom Nichols) 1622489238
Nichols, who is also a U.S. Naval War College professor, also posted this:
Just a reminder that Mike Flynn, a retired three-star U.S. Army general, Trump's first National Security Adviser, and later admitted felon, spent the Memorial Day weekend supporting the idea of a violent military overthrow of the government of the United States of America.— Tom Nichols (@Tom Nichols) 1622479732
- Sidney Powell, Flynn's New Lawyer, Is Conspiracy Theorist And Fox ... ›
- At QAnon Event, Flynn Says Myanmar-Style Military Coup 'Should ... ›
- The Fox News Coup Turns Ultra-Violent - National Memo ›
- Behind Trump's Words, A Criminal State Of Mind - National Memo ›
- Flynn Should Be Subject To Court Martial For 'Inciting Insurrection ... ›
- Why America Must Hold Mike Flynn Accountable - National Memo ›
- VIDEO: Flynn Jokes About Assassination While Brandishing Assault Rifle ›
- US should have coup like Myanmar, former Trump advisor Michael ... ›
- Michael Flynn Could Face Court Martial for Myanmar Coup Remark ... ›
- Michael Flynn says Myanmar-like coup 'should happen' in US | TheHill ›
- Trump ally Michael Flynn says what happened in coup-stricken ... ›
- Mike Flynn, former Trump aide, appears to endorse military coup ›
- Trump's Ex-National Security Adviser Michael Flynn Calls For ... ›
- Former Trump adviser Michael Flynn says Myanmar-like coup ... ›
- QAnon Convention: Michael Flynn Backtracks, Denies Suggesting ... ›
- Michael Flynn defends his coup comments - The Washington Post ›
- Michael Flynn says he didn't endorse Myanmar-style coup after he ... ›