Reprinted with permission from American Independent
The vast majority of Americans backed President Joe Biden's American Rescue Plan, which provided $1.9 trillion for pandemic relief. But a new poll suggests his proposed infrastructure package may be even more popular.
A March 3 Monmouth University Polling Institute survey showed 62 percent of the country backed the American Rescue Plan, while 34 percent opposed it.
A Monmouth poll released on Monday found 68 percent of American adults back the American Jobs Plan, Biden's proposal to invest $2.25 trillion in roads, bridges, transit, water systems, broadband, clean energy, child care, and other infrastructure priorities. Just 29 percent of those surveyed oppose the proposal.
Biden's proposed funding mechanism — more tax revenue from corporations — enjoys 64 percent support.
This 68 percent backing is even higher than the level of support for the COVID-19 rescue package, which gave most Americans a $1,400 relief check, provided an average 2021 tax cut of $3,040, expanded unemployment benefits, sent $350 billion to cash-strapped state and local governments, and provided billions more dollars for vaccination and safer school reopening.
Monday's poll also showed strong support for the outlines of Biden's soon-to-be-released American Families Plan, which will reportedly provide $1.8 trillion for free community college, paid family leave, health care, and child care. It showed that 64 percent of Americans support the idea and 34 percent oppose it.
Asked whether the infrastructure plan or the health care plan was more important, 54 percent of those polled said both are equally needed.
Despite the broad support for Biden's plans, congressional Republicans continue to do everything possible to stop them.
Every GOP member of Congress opposed the American Rescue Plan, attacking it as partisan, pricey, and not needed. The bill became law anyway due to strong Democratic support.
Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell has vowed that every Republican will oppose the American Jobs Plan, which is currently being considered by Congress. Senate Republicans have demanded that instead Biden cut about three-quarters of the plan — including all of the climate change and caregiving provisions — though Democrats could still enact it without GOP support if they remain unified.
Congressional Republicans are also already attacking the American Families Plan, claiming its tax increase for Americans making $400,000 or more will "kill thousands of jobs AND reduce federal tax revenue."
Monmouth's polling shows 65 percent of Americans support raising taxes on those wealthy individuals, while just 33 percent oppose doing so.
Published with permission of The American Independent Foundation.
- VIDEO: Sanders Tells Biden, Don't 'Slow Down” On Infrastructure ... ›
- Poll: Americans Blame Republicans, Not Biden, For Partisan Divide ... ›
- New Poll: Americans Say Tax Wealthy And Corporations To Fund ... ›
- GOP Furious Over Biden's Strong Polling Numbers - National Memo ›
- Poll: Big Majority Favors Biden Plan To Combat Climate Change ... ›
- New Poll: Biden's Infrastructure Ideas Are Popular, But Partisan ... ›
- New Poll: Biden Jobs Plan Favored By 73 Percent Of Voters ... ›
- Polls Show Massive Support For Biden's Trillion-Dollar Infrastructure ... ›
- The Press Keeps Chasing — And Never Finding — Those ‘Moderate Republicans’ - National Memo ›
- Biden Celebrates America 'On The Move Again' As 100th Day Arrives - National Memo ›
- Biden’s Big History Lesson For Republicans - National Memo ›
- Poll: Voters Strongly Support Biden’s Families Plan - National Memo ›
- GOP Claims Weak Jobs Report Proves America Doesn’t Need Biden Plan - National Memo ›
- How That ‘Blue State Bailout’ Is Rescuing The Reddest States - National Memo ›
- Biden Reiterates Support For 'Two-Track' Infrastructure Deal - National Memo ›
- Senate Republicans Whining Over Biden’s ‘Two-Track’ Infrastructure Plan - National Memo ›
- Republicans Oppose More IRS Audits Of Super-Rich Tax Evaders - National Memo ›
- Voters Overwhelmingly Support Biden Infrastructure Plan As GOP Plots Obstruction - National Memo ›
- Biden Infrastructure Plan Can Slow Climate Change: Expert - National Memo ›
- Republicans Block Infrastructure Bill That Promises 500K New Manufacturing Jobs - National Memo ›
- Biden's Infrastructure Plan Maintains Support From About 3 in 5 ... ›
- More Than 3 in 5 Voters Support Corporate Tax Increases to Fund ... ›
- Poll Finds Majority Supports Biden Infrastructure Plan : NPR ›
- More than 2 in 3 support Biden's $2T infrastructure plan: poll | TheHill ›
- Majority approve of Biden infrastructure plan — CBS News poll ... ›
- Biden job approval hits 53%, majority support infrastructure plan ... ›