The National  Memo Logo

Smart. Sharp. Funny. Fearless.

Monday, December 09, 2019 {{ new Date().getDay() }}

BOSTON (AFP) – Two college students from Kazakhstan pleaded not guilty Tuesday to charges of impeding investigators pursuing the Boston Marathon bombers.

Dias Kadyrbayev and Azamat Tazhayakov, both 19, were indicted by a grand jury Thursday of obstructing justice with the intent of impeding the investigation into the April 15 attack that left three dead and scores injured.

They had previously been accused of conspiracy to obstruct justice, a charge that remains in place, the US attorney’s office in Boston has said.

Kadyrbayev and Tzahayakov’s parents were present when they appeared before federal judge Marion Bowler in orange prison jumpsuits.
a
The court heard they were being held in solitary confinement.

Their next day in court was set for September 26.

If convicted, Kadyrbayev and Tazhayakov could face up to 20 years in prison and the prospect of deportation from the United States.

The grand jury indictment stems from the Boston-wide manhunt for brothers Tamerlan and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, who allegedly planted two pressure-cooker bombs near the marathon finish line.

Prompted by a text message from Dzhokhar Tsarnaev to go to his college dormitory room “and take what’s there,” Kadyrbayev and Tazhayakov — together with a third conspirator — removed a laptop computer, fireworks and other items, prosecutors have said.

They then allegedly took the items to their apartment in New Bedford, Massachusetts, where the items were subsequently stuffed into a garbage bag then put in a dumpster outside, the US attorney’s office said.

Tamerlan Tsarnaev was killed amid a shootout with police later that night, while his younger brother — who has pleaded not guilty to 30 counts including murder — was later arrested hiding inside a small boat.

Advertising

Start your day with National Memo Newsletter

Know first.

The opinions that matter. Delivered to your inbox every morning

Pat McCrory

Youtube Screenshot

If former North Carolina Gov. Pat McCrory is any indication, the GOP primary wounds wrought in the last several months stand a good chance of bleeding into the general election this fall.

McCrory, who lost his bid Tuesday to become the Republican nominee for the Tar Heel State's open Senate seat, declined to endorse his GOP rival, Rep. Ted Budd, the Trump endorsee.

Keep reading... Show less

Dr. Mehmet Oz

Youtube Screenshot

Senate candidate Mehmet Oz thanked Fox News host Sean Hannity for advising him “behind the scenes,” helping to bring him to the cusp of a potential victory in Tuesday night’s primary in Pennsylvania — a revelation that further illustrates Hannity’s position as a Republican operative who leverages his media presence for political influence.

The Republican primary race could potentially go to a recount, with Oz currently ahead of former hedge fund manager Dave McCormick by a slender margin. The winner will face Democratic nominee Lt. Gov. John Fetterman, who won his primary by a landslide. During a speech on Tuesday night, Oz first thanked his wife, his children, and his campaign staff and then called out two key political figures who endorsed him and advised him throughout the campaign: former President Donald Trump and Hannity.

Keep reading... Show less
{{ post.roar_specific_data.api_data.analytics }}