Connie Schultz writes that poor women will be the victims of the Susan G. Komen for the Cure foundation’s decision to cut ties with Planned Parenthood, in her column, Komen Caves To The Far Right — And Poor Women Pay:
The Susan G. Komen for the Cure foundation has severed its ties with Planned Parenthood.
As a result, hundreds of thousands of dollars — nearly $700,000 last year alone — no longer will fund breast cancer screenings and other breast-related services for low-income and uninsured women at 19 Planned Parenthood affiliates across the country.
Komen made the decision in December, but the news didn’t get out until this week. Before Komen went into lockdown mode, a spokeswoman told The Associated Press that this decision had nothing to do with the relentless pressure from anti-abortion groups that want to drive Planned Parenthood into extinction.
So why did an extremist anti-abortion group brag online about the funding cuts two weeks before Komen told Planned Parenthood?
On Dec. 2, 2011, Doug Scott, president of Life Decisions International, announced on its Facebook page that Komen was off its boycott list because it no longer was funding Planned Parenthood.
“Please keep in mind that if the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation deserved to be included in The Boycott List, it would still be there,” he wrote. “There is reason to celebrate. Just do not do it too loudly.”
That post has since evaporated.