Reprinted with permission from American Independent
Sen. John Cornyn (R-TX) on Monday attacked President Joe Biden for his restraint on social media, suggesting Biden isn't "in control" because he's not tweeting all day long.
Cornyn tweeted a quote from a Politico article that pointed out the difference between Biden and Donald Trump's communication strategies:
"The president is not doing cable news interviews. Tweets from his account are limited and, when they come, unimaginably conventional. The public comments are largely scripted. Biden has opted for fewer sit down interviews with mainstream outlets and reporters," Cornyn tweeted, a word-for-word paragraph from the Politico article.
But Cornyn then added that the strategy, "Invites the question: is he really in charge?"
However, it's not accurate to say that Biden is "not doing cable news interviews."
Since he was elected in November, Biden has done a number of interviews with mainstream media outlets, including with CNN's Jake Tapper, CBS News' Norah O'Donnell, and ABC News' George Stephanopoulos.
Biden has also answered questions from reporters numerous times either while leaving the White House to travel for White House events, as well as at an official news conference.
Ultimately, appears like Cornyn was trying to compare Biden's measured approach to communication to that of Donald Trump, who would often go off-script, much to his own staff's dismay.
Over his four-year tenure, Trump blindsided numerous aides by firing them by tweet. He would also tweet policy announcements that surprised his own staff and sent the West Wing into a tailspin. Trump's bigoted ban on transgender people serving in the military, for example, blindsided his joint chiefs of staff, who were unaware of the policy change. (Biden has since reversed the ban.)
Trump also spent hours calling into Fox & Friends — Fox News' morning program — where he'd be lobbed softball questions by the hosts, who sometimes had to coach him into taking back offensive comments that could hurt him politically.
Now, Trump can no longer tweet because he was permanently banned from the platform after the social media outlet said he violated the company's policy against inciting violence following the deadly January 6 insurrection at the Capitol.
Cornyn's criticism of Biden drew scorn on social media.
"Making meandering calls into Fox and Friends and rage tweeting at all hours is how you demonstrate you're truly running the country, per John Cornyn," Sarah Longwell, a GOP strategist who founded the group Republican Voters Against Trump in 2020, tweeted.
- GOP Senators See No Reason To Provide Needy Families With ... ›
- #EndorseThis: Jimmy Kimmel Roasts Trump For Saying Someone ... ›
- Biden Approval Ratings Soar On Vaccine Action And Relief Bill ... ›
- Republicans Insist On Preserving Filibuster (Except When They Don ... ›
- In Texas Storm Disaster, Biden Acts As A President For All ... ›
- Cruz Begs Disaster Aid For Texas -- But Denied Help To Other ... ›
- #EndorseThis: The Joke Is On GOP Sen. Cornyn, But He Doesn't Get It - National Memo ›
- If Biden Were Republican, Press Would Tout Him As ’The New Reagan’ - National Memo ›
- Biden's Doing Very Well — But Here’s How He Might Do Better - National Memo ›
- Trump insults Sen. John Cornyn as rift in GOP widens over certifying ... ›
- John Cornyn votes in line with Trump's positions ›
- Texas Republican John Cornyn won't object to election certification ... ›
- Editorial: Why all Americans should be rooting for Joe Biden's success ›
- Biden's First 50 Days As President Have Been a Historic Success ›
- Texas Senator John Cornyn takes heat after tweeting quote about ... ›
- Biden backs up Tanden as Republicans attack her tweets - POLITICO ›
- GOP Sen. Cornyn Laments That Biden Treats Immigrants Humanely ›
- John Cornyn tweets about 'President-elect Joe Biden,' as list of GOP ... ›