In Texas Storm Disaster, Biden Acts As A President For All Americans
Reprinted with permission from Daily Kos
Texas is being battered by a winter storm, causing rolling electrical blackouts while unplowed streets have people trapped at home without heat or water. At least 2.5 million people don't have power in the state, several times the number that lost power during Hurricane Harvey, with record winter demand in the cold weather and turbines and other equipment freezing.
In response, President Biden has approved an emergency declaration, authorizing the Federal Emergency Management Agency "to coordinate all disaster relief efforts which have the purpose of alleviating the hardship and suffering caused by the emergency on the local population, and to provide appropriate assistance for required emergency measures," with 75 percent federal funding.
Oh. So this is what it's like to have a president who considers himself responsible for the whole country, not just the states that voted for him.
By contrast, Donald Trump repeatedly delayed disaster aid to parts of the country he didn't think were sufficiently pro-Trump. After Hurricane Maria, in 2017, Trump repeatedly whined about disaster relief funding for Puerto Rico, assailed Congress for passing too much funding—when in fact it was inadequate—and only changed his tune as the election approached. When Puerto Rico was hit by an earthquake in early 2020, Trump again forced the island to wait for needed aid, while imposing harsh restrictions on how aid could be spent.
California, too, bore the brunt of Trump's contempt for anyone outside of his own base. In October, 2020, he initially rejected a request for disaster assistance as California fought six major wildfires, before reversing course days later. That came after a 2019 threat to cut off disaster funding related to wildfires. And after a similar threat in 2018. And a January 2019 attempt to cut off aid to victims of the 2018 wildfires.
Puerto Rico waited years, and never got the relief it needed. California got its aid in more timely fashion, but under constant threat and abuse, with the ever-present fear that Trump would really follow through on his threats. Texas got its emergency declaration basically as soon as Gov. Greg Abbott requested it. Because, as Biden repeatedly said during his campaign and in his inauguration speech, he wants to be a "president for all Americans." Even the ones who didn't vote for him.
Of course, it's not just Trump. Sens. Ted Cruz (R-TX) and John Cornyn (R-TX) were right out with a letter echoing Abbott's request for aid—yet another reminder that both Cruz and Cornyn voted against relief funds for Hurricane Sandy in 2013.
Texans are being asked to conserve energy by not running major appliances where possible—put off that load of laundry for a few days, for instance—and by turning their heat all the way down to 68, a number that is an indictment of the culture, because seriously, 68 is ridiculously warm, put on a sweater and stop wasting energy.
That said, it's important to understand that while this is weather that for many parts of the country would not be a particularly big deal, it's truly a serious problem in an area that does not have the infrastructure to handle significant amounts of snow or very low temperatures. This is absolutely an emergency. It's a good thing the United States now has a president who will respond appropriately, without threats and tantrums. It's unfortunate Texas still has senators who won't return the favor next time the state asking for assistance is one they find it convenient to level culture war attacks on.
- Cartoon: Snow Storm Shuts Down New York - National Memo ›
- Biden Saves 'Billions Of Birds' That Trump Tried To Kill - National ... ›
- The Government Donald Trump Left Behind - National Memo ›
- Biden Orders Halt To Trump's War On Medicaid Families - National ... ›
- Biden Starts Work With 15 Executive Actions Today - National Memo ›
- Biden May Swiftly Reverse Trump Policies By Executive Order ... ›
- Fox Highlights NY Times Editorial Bashing Biden's Executive Orders ... ›
- Texas Gains Federal Aid From Biden — But Governor's Hypocrisy Reeks - National Memo ›
- Texas Power Crisis Threatens To Become ‘Mass Casualty Event’ - National Memo ›
- Amid Texas Storm, Mayor’s Brutal Right-Wing Rant Leaves Him Unemployed - National Memo ›
- Danziger Draws - National Memo ›
- Before Taking Off, Cruz Told Texans To ’Stay Home’ During Storm - National Memo ›
- Did Ted Cruz Really Fly To Cancun As Texas Froze? Yes. - National Memo ›
- Cruz Begs Disaster Aid For Texas -- But Denied Help To Other States - National Memo ›
- A Republican Mayor Blurts The Hideous Truth About GOP Ideology - National Memo ›
- Why The Rigged Energy System In Texas Won’t Improve Anytime Soon - National Memo ›
- How Many Texans Died In Power Disaster Won’t Be Known For Weeks - National Memo ›
- #EndorseThis: Daily Show Unveils New Texas Energy Source, Powered By Hate - National Memo ›
- Biden Plan Includes Much Bigger Tax Cut For Most Families Than Trump Tax Bill ›
- #EndorseThis: Jimmy Kimmel Roasts Trump For Saying Someone Else Must Be Running The Country - National Memo ›
- Texas Republican’s Complaint: Biden Doesn’t Tweet Enough - National Memo ›
- Texas Governor’s ‘Patriotic Education’ Law Puts Propaganda Over History - National Memo ›
- What Are You Drinking? - National Memo ›
- Confronting Wildfires, Biden Increases Firefighter Pay And Climate Spending - National Memo ›
- While Red Texas Blusters, Blue California Prospers - National Memo ›
- Right-Wing Media Blaming Trump's Ohio Railway Disaster On Biden (VIDEO) - National Memo ›
- President Joseph R. Biden, Jr. Approves Texas Emergency ... ›
- White House issues Federal Emergency Declaration for Texas ... ›
- President Joseph R. Biden Approves Emergency Declaration for ... ›
- Biden Approves Emergency Declaration for Texas Amid Energy ... ›
- Texas winter storm: Federal emergency declaration approved | khou ... ›
- Joe Biden Approves Texas Disaster Declaration as Winter Storm ... ›
- Texas emergency proclamation approved as dangerous winter ... ›
- President Biden approves Texas emergency declaration amid winter ... ›