Reprinted with permission from Alternet
Texas state Republican lawmakers have been under intense scrutiny all week for their handling of the bitter and deadly winter storm still battering the Lone Star state. Sen. Ted Cruz is facing backlash after photos showed him on a flight from Houston in the middle of a growing humanitarian crisis. [UPDATE: Following hours of silence, Cruz confirmed that he had gone to Cancun with his family, supposedly intending only to stay overnight.]
The scandal erupted after photos surfaced on Twitter of a couple bearing a striking resemblance to Cruz and his wife, Heidi. The two were at George Bush Intercontinental Airport preparing to board a flight to Cancun, Mexico.
According to KSAT, Keith Edwards, who worked for Sen. Jon Ossoff's campaign in Georgia, had "multiple people" confirming the man in the photos was Cruz.
Residents all over Texas are still suffering the unprecedented storm that swept the state this week. Millions of Texans also remain without power and food as the Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT), the state's privatized and deregulated power grid, struggles to get power back on.
In a nutshell, the state of Texas is facing a historic moment of chaos caused by the latest natural disaster to hit the state. So Twitter users are all asking the same question: "Did Ted Cruz really fly to Cancun during Texas' state of emergency?" Internet sleuths on Twitter even compared the mask worn by the man in the picture to Cruz's mask worn in the Senate chambers.
As a result of the photos, Cruz is facing a litany of critical tweets.
Texans: "Let's burn the babies blocks to stay warm." Ted Cruz: "See ya, losers! It's margarita time!" https://t.co/SNgjkzB0nC— The Lincoln Project (@The Lincoln Project) 1613651146.0
Some even pointed to the stark difference in Cruz's approach to the state's natural disaster in comparison to former rival Beto O'Rourke's proactive response to the crisis.
O'Rourke himself weighed in Cruz's travel, slamming the GOP senator on MSNBC Thursday morning.
- In Texas Storm Disaster, Biden Acts As A President For All ... ›
- Texas Power Crisis Threatens To Become 'Mass Casualty Event ... ›
- Ted Cruz's Plan For Dummies: Government Shutdown Or Bust The ... ›
- Amid Texas Storm, Mayor's Brutal Right-Wing Rant Leaves Him ... ›
- Cruz Begs Disaster Aid For Texas -- But Denied Help To Other States - National Memo ›
- #EndorseThis: Late Night Comics Crush "Cancun Cruz" In Medley Of Mockery ›
- Danziger Draws - National Memo ›
- A Republican Mayor Blurts The Hideous Truth About GOP Ideology - National Memo ›
- Why The Rigged Energy System In Texas Won’t Improve Anytime Soon - National Memo ›
- 'No Ethics' Gaetz Roasted For Defending 'Cancun Cruz’ - National Memo ›
- Yes, Ted Cruz flew to Cancun during Texas' winter disaster ›
- Ana Navarro: Ted Cruz's Cancun trip is obnoxious and offensive ... ›
- Ted Cruz DID Fly Out to Cancun as Texas Freezes ›
- Joe Biden Approves Texas Disaster Declaration as Winter Storm ... ›
- Ted Cruz mocked California during the summer blackouts. Now ... ›
- Texas Democrats call for Sen. Cruz to resign after unverified photos ... ›
- Ted Cruz tweet mocking CA's 'failed energy policies' resurfaces ›