Reprinted with permission from Alternet
Senator Ted Cruz (R-TX) voted with many of his Republican colleagues on the Senate Judiciary Committee against confirming Judge Merrick Garland to be the next Attorney General, and did so in a speech designed for the Fox News and OANN cameras – and the fact-checkers. In short, most of Cruz's claims were lies, easily smacked down by Committee Chairman Dick Durbin (D-IL).
"Not only did he refuse to answer questions at the hearing," Senator Cruz said falsely, "not only did he refuse to answer questions for the record, but Judge Garland is also one of the few Biden Cabinet nominees refusing to take in person meetings with Senators – categorically refusing to take them. Multiple other Biden nominees are taking them."
Later Cruz stretched his falsehood into an outright and extended lie, claiming Judge Garland "essentially refused to answer all questions," and saying, "on question after question after question Judge Garland refused to answer virtually anything."
Judge Garland, who is 68, decided he did not want to risk in-person meetings during the pandemic. He offered to meet via Zoom, as Judiciary Committee Chairman Dick Durbin later explained to Cruz, noting that Cruz refused to meet on Zoom with him. Every Republican in the U.S. Senate in 2016 refused to meet with Garland when he was a Supreme Court nominee.
"If he's not willing to answer questions, now, before he's confirmed, the likelihood of his being willing to answer questions after he was confirmed is only smaller on the response to the questions," Cruz went on to say.
Again, Chairman Durbin reminded Cruz that Republicans sent Garland in writing nearly 850 questions, including 127 from Cruz. Garland answered them all. As he did in his in-person confirmation hearing, when he did not know the answer, he said so.
Chairman Durbin politely smacked down Cruz's claims.
In the end, Garland was reported positively out of committee, 15-7.
Watch Sen. Cruz:
- Cruz Begs Disaster Aid For Texas -- But Denied Help To Other ... ›
- Ted Cruz Calls Himself A 'Constitutionalist' — It's A Loaded Term ... ›
- Cruz: “I Did My Duty” By Trying To Void Election Result - National ... ›
- Did Ted Cruz Really Fly To Cancun As Texas Froze? Yes. - National ... ›
- 'No Ethics' Gaetz Roasted For Defending 'Cancun Cruz' - National ... ›
- Why Trump Will Suffer Legal Torment For Years To Come - National ... ›
- McConnell Already Plotting To Obstruct President Biden - National ... ›
- At Judiciary Hearing, Garland Vows Tough Prosecution Of 'Heinous ... ›
- #EndorseThis: The Joke Is On GOP Sen. Cornyn, But He Doesn't Get It - National Memo ›
- Ted Cruz Openly Advertises Demand For Corporate Bribery - National Memo ›
- Smearing An Eminently Qualified Black Woman Is Business As Usual - National Memo ›
- Cruz Compares Vaccination Outreach To Soviet Communism ›
- Ted Cruz's explanation for his Cancun trip made things worse ... ›
- Why the 'Lyin' Ted' attack works so well for Donald Trump - The ... ›
- Sen. Ted Cruz: How Lyin' Ted Earned His Nickname from Trump ... ›
- Editorial: Resign, Senator Cruz. Your lies cost lives. ›
- Senator Ted Cruz questions AG nominee Merrick Garland in ... ›
- Cruz votes against attorney general nominee Merrick Garland ... ›
- Ted Cruz Says DOJ 'Politicized and Weaponized' Under Obama at ... ›
- Sen. Ted Cruz questions AG nominee Merrick Garland. After Mexico ... ›
- Dana Bash: Ted Cruz is looking for Fox News sound bite at Merrick ... ›
- Merrick Garland hearing: 6 takeaways from attorney general nominee ›
- The Republicans Finally Face Merrick Garland—and Act as if They ... ›