Reprinted with permission from Alternet
Rep. Lauren Boebert (R-Colo.) is at the center of controversy over questionable mileage reimbursements paid to her from her own political campaign's bank account.
Although federal candidates do have the legal right to use the Internal Revenue Service's mileage rate to calculate reimbursements for personal vehicle miles, Boebert was reimbursed more than $22,000, in two separate payments, for gas mileage. Boebert's campaign team has defended the expenditure, but the Denver Post explains why the expenses raise questions.
The publication outlines how the two payments were disbursed and what would be required to justify it. To support the staggering cost, Boebert would have been required to drive a total of 38,712 miles on the campaign trail even with the decline in public events "in March, April, or July, and only one in May" due to the pandemic.
According to Kedric Payne, a former investigator who worked for the Office of Congressional Ethics, Boebert's reimbursements have sounded alarms due to the "highly unusual amount of mileage expenses."
"This highly unusual amount of mileage expenses raises red flags and the campaign should feel obligated to provide answers," said Payne.
Boebert's expenses were also compared to her predecessor's reimbursements. In just one year, Boebert surpassed Rep. Scott Tipton's (R-Colo.) reimbursements over his 10 years in office. From 2011 to 2021, Tipton's reimbursements totaled "$9,797 from campaign coffers for all travel expenses — including airfare — during a decade representing the same district" and a second reimbursement of "$9,575 from his office account for mileage in that time period."
Boebert's campaign insists the expenditures are legitimate.
"She traveled to every nook and cranny of the district to speak with and hear from the people about their concerns," the statement said. "They say showing up is 90% of the battle and Lauren always showed up. Her aggressive travel schedule is a big reason she won."
- Hometown Papers Demand Expulsion Of GOP Lawmakers Who ... ›
- Get Ready For QAnon Conspiracists Elected To Congress - National ... ›
- Rep. Boebert Mocks School Shooting Survivor For Not Being 'Tough ... ›
- Rep. Boebert Allegedly Hosted Trumpists For 'Large Tour' Of Capitol ... ›
- Rep. Boebert's Faked 'Glock' Video Sparks Twitter Firestorm ... ›
- Boebert Comically Clueless About Constitution She Swore To Defend - National Memo ›
- CD3 Rep. Boebert's $22k mileage reimbursement “raises red flags ... ›
- QAnon sympathizer elected to Congress failed to disclose ... ›
- Lauren Boebert: QAnon-supporting Republican claims 38,000 miles ... ›
- Outside Spending Rushes Into Colorado Race Between Lauren ... ›
- Rep. Lauren Boebert “raises red flags” with mileage reimbursements ... ›
- Rep. Lauren Boebert declares she will carry Glock in Congress and ... ›
- U.S. Rep. Lauren Boebert feuds with Parkland shooting survivor ... ›
- Lauren Boebert, Hard-Right Gun Activist, Wins in Colorado House ... ›
- Democrat Kerry Donovan launches campaign to unseat Lauren ... ›