On Fox, Stephen Miller Falsely Claims Migrant Kids Were ‘Humanely Returned’ To Families
Reprinted with permission from Media Matters
Former Trump administration senior adviser Stephen Miller appeared Thursday morning on Fox & Friends, to attack President Joe Biden's immigration policies. During the interview, Miller falsely claimed that the Trump administration maintained a practice of "safely and humanely" returning unaccompanied minor immigrants to their families.
In fact, the practices of Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) officials during the Trump administration were notorious for their dysfunctional treatment of unaccompanied minors. A ProPublica report last year titled "The Trump Administration Is Rushing Deportations of Migrant Children During Coronavirus" included young children who had "a parent in the U.S. ready to receive them, and no one in their home country to care for them," and teenagers with dangerous family situations waiting for them back home.
The New York Times also documented that the administration had "deported hundreds of migrant children alone — in some cases, without notifying their families," which also included other relatives in the United States, and that "others have been pushed back into Mexico, where thousands of migrants are living in filthy tent camps and overrun shelters." The Times also reported the Trump administration had ordered the expulsion of minors who still had pending asylum appeals. Congressional Democrats had charged that the administration's practices violated the existing federal law for the treatment of unaccompanied children, the Trafficking Victims Protection Act.
Video fileVideo Player00:0004:17SHARE
Fox News has been continuously fearmongering against Biden's immigration policies, including a false claim that undocumented immigrants who committed violent crimes would not be investigated and deported, and alleging that immigration was the real insurrectionagainst America, rather than the attack against the U.S. Capitol by Trump supporters on January 6. The network also recently attacked Biden's policies by repeatedly showing b-roll footage of a migrant caravan that had been broken up while crossing from Honduras into Guatemala, a 1,400-mile journey from U.S. territory.
- #EndorseThis: Stephen Miller Isn't Funny. But His 'Hair' Is. - National ... ›
- Stephen Miller: Blocking Immigrants 'Is All I Care About' - National ... ›
- SPLC Watchdogs Name Stephen Miller To 'Extremist' List - National ... ›
- Stephen Miller: Trump Is Misunderstood Genius - National Memo ›
- Striking Down New Travel Ban, Court Cites Trump Adviser's ... ›
- As Biden Wins Electoral College, Right-Wing Media Promote Bogus ... ›
- Stephen Miller E-Mails Show How He Promoted White Nationalist ... ›
- Migrant Crisis? What’s Really Happening At Mexican Border - National Memo ›
- Stephen Miller Pursues White Nationalist Agenda With State Lawsuits - National Memo ›
- Reunions Begin For Migrant Families Torn Apart By Trump Policy - National Memo ›
- Stephen Miller's Affinity for White Nationalism Revealed in Leaked ... ›
- How Stephen Miller Rode White Rage from Duke's Campus to ... ›
- Stephen Miller Tells Fox Host Attacks on Him Are Due to 'Deep Vein ... ›
- Stephen Miller: 'Alternate' electors will keep Trump election ... ›
- Opinion | Lou Dobbs, Stephen Miller exchange reveals tension ... ›
- Chris Wallace Shuts Down Stephen Miller's Lie About Racist 'Send ... ›
- On Fox News, Stephen Miller Says 'An Alternate Set Of Electors' Will ... ›
- Stephen Miller Spreads Blatant Lies About Mail-In Voting on 'Fox ... ›