Justice Officials Launch Probe Of Barr’s Surveillance Of Democratic Lawmakers
Reprinted with permission from Alternet
The Inspector General of the Department of Justice has announced he will launch an investigation into the DOJ spying on prominent Democratic members of Congress during the Trump administration's time in office. Those incidents include obtaining subpoenas for communications data from at least 12 people, including Democratic lawmakers, their staff members, family members, and at least one minor child.
Attorneys General Jeff Sessions and Bill Barr, according to a New York Times report Thursday, were central to these incidents of spying taking place.
Among those targeted by Sessions and Barr were Democratic Congressmen Adam Schiff and Eric Swalwell, both of California.
Department of Justice Inspector General Michael Horowitz, Axios reports, made the announcement on Friday. Horowitz was first appointed to that position by President Barack Obama. The announcement says the investigation will include DOJ's similar efforts on members of the media.
"The DOJ Office of the Inspector General (OIG) is initiating a review of DOJ's use of subpoenas and other legal authorities to obtain communication records of Members of Congress and affiliated persons, and the news media in connection with recent investigations of alleged unauthorized disclosures of information to the media by government officials. The review will examine the Department's compliance with applicable DOJ policies and procedures, and whether any such uses, or the investigations, were based upon improper considerations. If circumstances warrant, the OIG will consider other issues that may arise during the review."
- Trump Administration Subpoenaed Apple For Lawmakers' Personal ... ›
- Bill Barr's Remarkable History Of Scandalous Cover-Up - National ... ›
- The Journalists Who Parroted Barr's Lies Owe An Apology - National ... ›
- Did Barr's Attempt To Protect Giuliani Stall FBI Raid In Ukraine Probe? ›
- Trump Aide Meadows Pushed Election Conspiracies On Justice ... ›
- Justice Department Must Release Barr Memo On Trump's ... ›
- Barr And Rosenstein Must Answer In Subpoena Scandal - National Memo ›
- Why Trump’s Abuse Of Power Is Truly Worse Than Watergate - National Memo ›
- It's Too Late To Erase Barr’s Role In Spreading Election Lies - National Memo ›
- Justice Department probes Trump DOJ targeting of media and ... ›
- Opinion: DOJ's probe of Bolton is payback for his daring to criticize ... ›
- Justice Dept. releases part of internal memo on not charging Trump ... ›
- 'Absolutely not resigning': Gaetz blasts Justice Dept. probe — and ... ›
- Watchdog to probe if Justice Dept. officials improperly tried to alter ... ›
- DOJ watchdog will probe reported Trump-era subpoenas of Apple ... ›
- Congress, Justice Department probing Trump seizures of House ... ›
- Trump's Justice Dept. targeted congressional Dems in leak probe ›
- Trump DOJ seized data from House Democrats in leaks probe ›