CNN Poll: GOP Efforts To Discredit Biden Are Failing
Reprinted with permission from American Independent
Republicans have been adamant that President Joe Biden's popularity will fall as they vilify his policy proposals, including the coronavirus relief package Congress passed in March and the infrastructure bill congressional Democrats are currently trying to pass.
Yet a new CNN poll released Wednesday found that their strategy has not worked, as Biden — and his policies — remain popular nearly 100 days into his tenure, despite the GOP's best efforts.
According to the CNN poll, 53 percent of Americans approve of the job Biden has done in his first 100 days in office. That approval rating tracks with Biden's approval rating average from FiveThirtyEight, which has hovered around 53 percent since he was sworn in on January 20 — a level he has maintained despite GOP criticism.
Other polls show that despite Republicans' attacks on his policies, both the coronavirus relief package and the infrastructure bill are even more popular than Biden is.
A CBS News/YouGov poll taken between April 21 to April 24 found 58 percent of adults in the United States approve of Biden's infrastructure plan, even though Republicans have been attacking it by saying it is not about infrastructure.
And that same poll found that 66 percent of adults believe the coronavirus relief package — which extended unemployment payments, authorized another round of direct checks, and made a child tax credit more generous to help alleviate childhood poverty — has been "helpful to the economy."
In all, that's a bad sign for Republicans like Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC), who toldPolitico that Biden's "policies are going to be our road to comeback."
Polls show the GOP's strategy of attacking Biden's infrastructure plan because it includes things they argue aren't infrastructure while simultaneously attempting to vilify it because it raises taxes on corporations and the rich is also rife with peril.
A Morning Consult poll from April found that voters believe things like care for the elderly, internet access, and water pipes are infrastructure, despite GOP claims that they aren't.
And voters support raising taxes on those groups. A Monmouth University pollfrom Monday found that 64 percent of Americans support raising taxes on corporations, while 65 percent support raising taxes on those earning more than $400,000 annually.
The fact that Republicans can't seem to make a dent in Biden's popularity appears to be pushing them toward a strategy of running against House Speaker Nancy Pelosi in the 2022 midterms.
Rep. Tom Emmer (R-MN), chair of the National Republican Congressional Committee that seeks to elect Republicans to the House, released a memo this week saying Pelosi is unpopular and that tying her to Democratic candidates could help in the quest to win back the House.
But it's unclear that will be the political winner that Republicans think it is.
Stu Rothenberg, a nonpartisan political handicapper, told the American Independent Foundation that, at this stage, he doubts running against Pelosi would be what changed GOP fortunes in the midterms.
"They've got Nancy Pelosi on the brain here, but the reality is that 2022 midterms is likely to be about Joe Biden," Rothenberg said, referring to Republicans. "And, I'd have to see some numbers that would really blow my mind to think that running against Nancy Pelosi would be more effective than running against Joe Biden."
Published with permission of The American Independent Foundation.
- GOP Furious Over Biden's Strong Polling Numbers - National Memo ›
- Pew Poll: Biden Smokes Trump On Every Measure Of Performance ... ›
- Stocks Gain Despite GOP's Dire Warnings About Biden - National ... ›
- New Poll: Biden Jobs Plan Favored By 73 Percent Of Voters ... ›
- Biden Approval Ratings Soar On Vaccine Action And Relief Bill ... ›
- New Polls: Biden's Approval Roaring As GOP Numbers Plunge ... ›
- Poll: Voters Favor Biden’s Border Strategy — Including Republicans - National Memo ›
- Let’s Cut Child Poverty In Half -- By Making Tax Credit Permanent - National Memo ›
- Why The 2022 Midterms Just Might Surprise Us - National Memo ›
- Congressional Republicans Frustrated As Biden Rides Strong Approval Ratings - National Memo ›
- Power Up: Biden scores record high approval rating among young ... ›
- Biden Scores Highest Youth Approval of Any President in Decades ... ›
- Biden gets 62% approval in CNBC poll, a sky-high initial reading ›
- Biden gets high approval on America's top issues. He faces warning ... ›
- Biden Nears 100-Day Mark With Strong Approval, Positive Rating for ... ›
- Biden Approval Rating On Coronavirus, Economy, Immigration : NPR ›