Reprinted with permission from DailyKos
It's not particularly surprising that Congressional Republicans—desperate for something to paper over their Trump-inspired rifts—would rally around blocking key pieces of President Biden's agenda.
What is notable, however, is them falling in line against Biden's concerted efforts to get a handle on the pandemic, get Americans back to work, get schools reopened, and restore a sense of normalcy to everyday life. Those efforts are now winning Biden a similar level of support among the American public as his wildly popular COVID-19 rescue plan is.
A new Associated Press-NORC poll released Friday found that 70 percent of Americans back Biden's handling of the response to the pandemic, including 44 percent of Republicans—a very similar level of support to what most surveys have found for Biden's COVID-19 relief package.
Biden's overall job performance approval came in at a strong 60 percent, but it's notable that he's doing ten points better on pandemic-specific issues. It suggests the popularity of Biden's pandemic relief is redounding to his benefit more broadly, along with his other efforts to speed up vaccine distribution and more generally provide palpable leadership on the issue. A Harris tracking poll this week also found public approval of vaccine distribution has risen to 66 percent, a 15-point jump in a single month.
Republicans, by prominently opposing that relief bill, are also broadly seen by the public as trying to jam Biden's efforts to improve the economy and combat the pandemic. A new Navigator Research poll found that 52 percent of Americans say Republicans in Congress are "blocking" Biden's efforts to improve the economy (just 20 percent say Republicans are helping) while a plurality of 40 percent say the same about Biden's efforts to combat the pandemic (just 31 percent say Republicans are helping).
Bottom line, in numerous polls, the American public likes both Biden's show of initiative and his specific initiatives on the pandemic.
Republicans, not so much. And this is the hill they have apparently chosen to die on.
- Why Trump Finally Made Me Smile - National Memo ›
- Gallup Poll: Trump And Congressional Approval Ratings Plummet ... ›
- While Fox And Trump Make Stupid Noises, Biden Is Busy Governing - National Memo ›
- How The Press Botched Coverage Of Covid Relief For A Year - National Memo ›
- While Republicans Vote No, Their States Win Big In Rescue Plan - National Memo ›
- Desperate Republicans Plead With Trump To ‘Play Team Ball’ - National Memo ›
- To Reform Immigration, Biden Must Show Resolve At The Border - National Memo ›
- Polls Show Massive Support For Biden’s Trillion-Dollar Infrastructure Plan - National Memo ›
- New Poll: Biden Approval Rating High With Split By Gender, Race And Education - National Memo ›
- Biden Approval Ratings Soar On Vaccine Action And Relief Bill - National Memo ›
- The GOP Has No Vision, Weak Leadership, And Terrible Poll Ratings - National Memo ›
- Fox News Anchors Insist That Infrastructure Isn’t Really ‘Infrastructure’ - National Memo ›
- Trump Predicted Slump Under Biden — But Markets And Jobs Are Surging - National Memo ›
- New Poll: Biden Jobs Plan Favored By 73 Percent Of Voters - National Memo ›
- Republicans Demand Gas Tax Hike To Fund Infrastructure - National Memo ›
- Pew Poll: Biden Smokes Trump On Every Measure Of Performance - National Memo ›
- Everything Republicans Oppose, They Now Call ’Socialist’ - National Memo ›