Reprinted with permission from American Independent
Donald Trump often said ahead of the 2020 election that if Joe Biden were elected, gains in the stock market would be destroyed.
"If he is elected, the stock market will crash," Trump said in a presidential debate on October 22, 2020, one of dozens of times he made the claim during the campaign, according to transcripts gathered by Factbase.
Yet 72 days into Biden's first term as president, the stock market has not only gone up, but it has set multiple records, including on Thursday, when the S&P 500 surpassed 4,000 for the first time in history.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average has also broken records multiple times since Biden was elected, beginning with the day Biden was sworn in. Since then, the Dow has surpassed 33,000 for the first time in history.
CNN reported in January that since Biden was elected in November, the stock market has had the "best post-election market performance for a new president in modern history."
The latest stock market surge follows the announcement of Biden's new infrastructure plan, which could be behind the record stock market performance. Biden's $2 trillion infrastructure plan would modernize the country's roads, bridges, and airports, as well as focus on modernizing infrastructure to help battle climate change.
The stock market news also comes as the vaccine rollout accelerates, and after Biden successfully pushed through a coronavirus relief package in March to help aid the economic recovery effort — without a single Republican vote in the House or Senate.
Experts predicted the relief package would bring "an almost immediate boost to the U.S. economy," the New York Times reported, with $1,400 checks and a $300 weekly increase to unemployment insurance likely to increase consumer spending as parts of the economy most hard-hit by the virus, including hospitality and tourism, began to show signs of life again with increased vaccinations.
On Friday, those predictions were bolstered when the Department of Labor announced that employers created a massive 916,000 jobs in March, including more than 200,000 jobs at restaurants, bars, and hotels. That's even more than the 675,000 jobs predicted in a survey done by Dow Jones last month, according to CNBC.
Stock market futures continued to rise Friday morning.
Published with permission of The American Independent Foundation.
- Polls Show Massive Support For Biden's Trillion-Dollar Infrastructure ... ›
- New Polls: Biden's Approval Roaring As GOP Numbers Plunge ... ›
- Democrats Should Be Bragging About The Markets - National Memo ›
- Biden Approval Ratings Soar On Vaccine Action And Relief Bill ... ›
- Biden Kicks Off Effort To Reshape Economy With Infrastructure Plan ... ›
- New Poll: Biden's Infrastructure Ideas Are Popular, But Partisan Opposition Persists - National Memo ›
- #EndorseThis: Jimmy Kimmel Roasts Trump For Saying Someone Else Must Be Running The Country - National Memo ›
- New Poll: Biden Jobs Plan Favored By 73 Percent Of Voters - National Memo ›
- Fed Chair Predicts Imminent Boom, Credits Biden - National Memo ›
- Stocks Gain Despite GOP’s Dire Warnings About Biden - National Memo ›
- Biden’s Big History Lesson For Republicans - National Memo ›
- Biden’s Ambitious Agenda Is More Truman Than FDR - National Memo ›
- Why You Shouldn't Be Scared By Inflation Headlines - National Memo ›
- Stop Shaming Workers About Their Relief Checks -- And Give Them A Raise - National Memo ›
- As Job Growth Doubles, Republicans Insist Biden ‘Failed’ ›
- Banker Robbery And Corporate Mediocrity Add Up To Grand Larceny - National Memo ›
- Fox Poll Shows Broad Support For Biden As GOP Attacks Flop ›
- After Biden stimulus, US economic growth could rival or even ... ›
- Biden-voting counties equal 70% of America's economy. What does ... ›
- Joe Biden's huge bet: the economic consequences of 'acting big ... ›
- Analysis: Can Joe Biden recreate the U.S. economy he grew up with ... ›
- The stimulus plan will keep America's economy humming for years ... ›
- Biden Approval Rating On Coronavirus, Economy, Immigration : NPR ›
- Biden Team Prepares $3 Trillion in New Spending for the Economy ... ›
- Biden Details $2 Trillion Plan to Rebuild Infrastructure and Reshape ... ›