Reprinted with permission from Alternet
President Joe Biden has a stern message for Republican governors ready to challenge his "vaccine-or-weekly-testing mandate" as a means of mitigating COVID-19.
On Friday, September 10, the president spoke at a Washington, D.C., middle school where he shared details about his next initiatives to mitigate the spread of the virus in schools. At one point during his speech, Biden addressed Republican governors who have railed against the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and public health recommendations to combat COVID-19.
Toward the end of his speech, one reporter echoed concerns of the president's opponents who oppose his latest attempts to mitigate the virus. According to Mother Jones, the reporter noted that some have deemed Biden's initiative as an "overreach" as they vow "to challenge it in court."
In response to the reporter's remarks, Biden said:
Have at it. Look, I am so disappointed that particularly some Republican governors have been so cavalier with the health of these kids, so cavalier with the health of their communities. We're playing for real here. This isn't a game. And I don't know of any scientist out there in this field who doesn't think it makes considerable sense to do the six things I have suggested. But you know—let me conclude with this:
One of the lessons I hope our students can unlearn is that politics doesn't have to be this way. Politics doesn't have to be this way. They're growing up in an environment where they see it's like a war, like a bitter feud. If a Democrat says right, everybody says left….I mean, it's not how we are. It's not who we are as a nation. And it's not how we beat every other crisis in our history. We got to come together. I think the vast majority—look at the polling data—the vast majority of the American people know we have to do these things. They're hard but necessary. We're going to get them done.
“Have at it.” — President Biden to those governors threatening lawsuits over the vaccine-or-weekly-testing mandate… https://t.co/xuItk04Q95— The Recount (@The Recount) 1631287123.0
The United States is facing an accelerated spread of COVID-19 as the Delta variant continues to ravage many states across the country, particularly in areas with lower vaccination rates.
- Spooked By Negative Polls, Republican Politicians Now Push ... ›
- Attacking Anti-Vaccine Obstruction, Biden Mandates Widespread ... ›
- There's One Path Forward — And It's Mandatory - National Memo ›
- Nation Grows Impatient With Unvaccinated As Mandates Expand ... ›
- Bold Biden Enrages The Right’s Pro-COVID Propagandists ›
- Why Biden’s Approval Ratings Will Rise Again ›
- Beltway Media Blame Biden For Vaccine Refusal, Ignore Fox Brainwashing ›
- Crazed GOP Candidates Compare Vaccine Mandates To Nazi Genocide ›
- Why Modern Americans Are Behaving Like Medieval Peasants - National Memo ›
- Will Joe Biden's vaccine mandates work? | The Economist ›
- Biden Defends Vaccine Mandates as GOP Criticizes New Rules for ... ›
- Sweeping new vaccine mandates for 100 million Americans ›
- Biden Pushes Companies on Vaccine Mandates - The New York ... ›
- U.S. Congress Republicans attack Biden's vaccination mandates ... ›
- Republican Governors Vow to Fight Biden's Vaccine Mandates - The ... ›
- Biden Brushes Off GOP Criticism Of Vaccination Mandates : NPR ›
- Biden announces sweeping vaccine mandates affecting millions of ... ›