CBS News Slammed For ‘Complicit’ Interview With QAnon Rioter
Reprinted with permission from Alternet
Should Americans hear from an individual in jail facing felony charges related to their alleged participation in the January 6 insurrection, especially on the day terrorism experts say the QAnon cult might again engage in violence so dangerous the House has postponed business for the day?
Some are saying no, and blasting CBS News for promoting its jailhouse interview today with one of the most recognizable faces from the insurrection, Jacob Chansley, better known as the "QAnon Shaman."
Responding to a clip from its "60 Minutes +" interview with correspondent Laurie Segall that CBS News posted to Twitter, attorney Max Kennerly blasted the network:
He was far from the only one.
@CBSThisMorning @60Minutes @LaurieSegall Hard pass. FU you and him.— @ZimJay (@@ZimJay) 1614864166.0
In an associated CBS News article the subhead reads: "Jacob Chansley, the man seen wearing face paint and a fur helmet with horns during the January 6 insurrection, tells 60 Minutes+ he was trying 'to bring God back to the Senate.'"
That article quotes Chansley extensively, in part saying, "My actions were not an attack on this country," and, "I sang a song. And that's a part of shamanism… I also stopped people from stealing and vandalizing that sacred space, the Senate. Okay? I actually stopped somebody from stealing muffins out of the– out of the break room."
Others tweeted out the CBS video, with some saying: "giving this man a platform to whine about being a victim seems irresponsible," "Maybe you should be interviewing some of the researchers who have been following QAnon for a long time and warning about the dangers of it. But you'd rather interview Qbacca, because putting freaks on the air is good for ratings," "Why do we care about his story? WHY?! This man is a traitor and insurrection leader. WHY?!!," "What have you contributed to journalism's advancement today…nada," "Christ we love handing extremists microphones in this country," and "WHY ARE YOU ALLOWING DOMESTIC TERRORISTS AIRTIME," among many others.
The article quotes Chansley extensively, and ends with this paragraph, which reads more like a press release than a news article: "Segall's report, including her remote interview with Chansley, can be seen on 60 Minutes+, a new show available on ViacomCBS' new streaming platform, Paramount+."
- #EndorseThis: Plaskett Proves Trump Was 'Directly Involved' In ... ›
- New Capitol Riot Videos Pulled From Far-Right Parler Site ... ›
- Capitol Riot Conspirator Renounces Oath Keepers, Still Denied Bail ... ›
- Sen. Johnson Tries To Blame Pelosi For Capitol Riot — And Gets ... ›
- Trump Defense Secretary Disarmed D.C. National Guard Before ... ›
- Why Is CBS ’60 Minutes’ Trying To Rehabilitate The Qanon ‘Shaman’? - National Memo ›
- Judge Berates ‘QAnon Shaman’ For ‘Publicity Stunt’ - National Memo ›
- 'I was wrong. Period': QAnon Shaman apologizes for entering ... ›
- 'QAnon Shaman' attorney speaks out on pardon snub: 'would have ... ›
- "QAnon Shaman" still feels "sympathy" for former President Donald ... ›
- "QAnon Shaman" speaks out for the first time in "60 Minutes+ ... ›
- 'QAnon Shaman' rioter will eat organic food, while most prisons and ... ›
- Man known as 'QAnon Shaman' appears in court; mom says he can ... ›
- Capitol rioter Jake Angeli, known as "QAnon Shaman," will be jailed ... ›
- CBS This Morning on Twitter: "The "QAnon Shaman" of the January ... ›
- "QAnon Shaman" claims he wasn't attacking the country in first ... ›