Reprinted with permission from DailyKos
In testimony before the House this week, Capitol Police and D.C. National Guard officials acknowledged that by Jan. 4 they understood that "… the January 6th event would not be like any of the previous protests held in 2020. We knew that militia groups and white supremacist organizations would be attending. We also knew that some of these participants were intending to bring firearms and other weapons to the event. We knew that there was a strong potential for violence and that Congress was the target."
On that same day, former acting Defense Secretary Christopher Miller issued a memo to the secretary of the Army placing some extremely unusual limits on National Guard forces for that event. It's not a to-do list. It's a list of thou shalt nots. A long list. A list that says guard forces can't arrest any of the pro-Trump protesters, or search them, or even touch them. And that's just for starters.
The full memo shows that the D.C. Guard did receive a request from D.C. government for guard presence during the Jan. 6 event. Miller responds promptly to go ahead, so long as the soldiers are given no weapons, no body armor, and no helmets. They can bring agents like pepper spray or flashbangs. They can't share any gear with Capitol Police or Metro D.C. Police. They can't … really do much of anything.
When initial reports indicate that the handful of National Guard forces that were deployed to D.C. on that day were dedicated to directing traffic several blocks away from the area of the Trump rally, it may simply be because that's the only thing they could find for them to do considering the restrictions that were given. It's clear that these restrictions would have absolutely prevented any guard forces from trying to protect any location.
Letter from form acting secretary of defense giving Jan.6 limits on National Guard
In addition to this memo, another grim document of the Jan. 6 insurgency emerged on Thursday. As The New York Times reports, body cam footage (deliberately not inserted here) from officers on the Capitol steps was used in court when bringing charges against Michael Foy, a Michigan man who attacked the police with a hockey stick. In addition to Foy's attack, the minute of video captures a grisly scene—the moment when 34-year-old Rosanne Boyland is trampled to death on the Capitol steps by fellow insurgents rushing forward to join the attack on police.
At least one person in the crowd notices what is happening and shouts "Save her!" But the wave of insurgents battering at police with flagpoles and lengths of pipe never pauses. Only seconds later, Boyland's friend Justin Winchell shouts "She's gonna die! She's dead!" He attempts to get help from those around him, but what he gets is a face full of chemical agent that rioters behind him are aiming at the police. Boyland's death is far from the only moment of shocking violence in the video, as insurgents scream that they will kill the police, and officers are toppled and dragged down the stairs. By the end of the brief video, the police are down, as the Trump supporters kick them and beat them over and over. The wonder isn't that someone died. It's that it wasn't more.
Considering the limits that Miller set on National Guard forces—including no helmet and no body armor—it's a good thing that none of them were present at the Capitol. They would not have survived.
- Before His Mob Stormed Capitol, Trump Participated In Security ... ›
- Trump's Pentagon Turmoil Stirs Fear Of A 'Coup In Progress ... ›
- West Virginia GOP Legislator Charged In Capitol Riot - National Memo ›
- Federal Prosecutors May Indict Capitol Rioters On Racketeering Charges - National Memo ›
- GOP Attempt To Discredit AOC’s Account Of Jan. 6 Backfires (She Has Receipts) - National Memo ›
- Republicans Who Stoked Capitol Mob Demand Removal Of Security Measures - National Memo ›
- Sen. Johnson Tries To Blame Pelosi For Capitol Riot — And Gets Torched ›
- Danziger Draws - National Memo ›
- ’Smoking Gun’: CNN Reports Explosive Remark By Trump During Insurrection - National Memo ›
- New Study Reveals Startling Economic Profile Of Capitol Rioters - National Memo ›
- WATCH: Did Trump’s Lawyer Purloin Senate Coasters After Verdict? - National Memo ›
- Facing Felony Charges, Capitol Insurgents Angrily Turn On Trump - National Memo ›
- New Jan. 6 Timeline Shows Police And Pentagon Brass Failed To Defend Capitol - National Memo ›
- Congress Debates Bipartisan Commission To Investigate Capitol Attack - National Memo ›
- Capitol Riot Conspirator Renounces Oath Keepers, Still Denied Bail - National Memo ›
- New Report Details Terror Threat From ‘Plethora’ Of Right-Wing Extremists ›
- Capitol Rioter Who Assaulted Police Traveled On Turning Point USA Bus - National Memo ›
- National Guard Chief: Pentagon Brass Delayed Critical Deployment On Jan. 6 - National Memo ›
- CBS News Slammed For ‘Complicit’ Interview With QAnon Rioter - National Memo ›
- FBI Arrests Former Trump Appointee In Capitol Riot Probe - National Memo ›
- FBI Probing Contacts Between GOP Members And Capitol Rioters - National Memo ›
- Six Major Questions Still Unanswered After Capitol Riot Hearings - National Memo ›
- Report: Capitol Police Were Warned Congress Was Jan. 6 Target - National Memo ›
- Federal Judge Warns Trump May Be Held Liable For January 6 Insurrection - National Memo ›
- Florida Man Confesses To Planning Capitol Breach On January 6 - National Memo ›
- Capitol Police Officer Told Units To Only Monitor ‘Anti-Trump Agitators’ During Insurrection ›
- Senate Judiciary Chairman Demands FBI Answer For Jan. 6 Intelligence Failures - National Memo ›
- VIDEO: At Jan. 6 Hearing, Republicans Praise Rioters And Push Lies - National Memo ›
- House Homeland Security Committee Reaches Bipartisan Deal On Jan. 6 Commission ›
- Capitol Police Officers Blast GOP Leaders For Opposing Jan. 6 Commission - National Memo ›
- Senate Report Details Brutal Attacks On Capitol Police By Trump Mob - National Memo ›
- Gohmert Repeats Debunked Claim That Jan. 6 Rioters Were ‘Anti-Trump’ - National Memo ›
- FBI Director Testifies Capitol Rioters Carried ‘All Sorts Of Weapons’ - National Memo ›
- Far-Right Republicans Vote No On Congressional Medal For Capitol Police - National Memo ›