Reprinted with permission from American Independent
FBI Director Christopher Wray testified under oath on Thursday that at least one person among the supporters of Donald Trump who rioted at the U.S. Capitol on January 6 carried a firearm, while many used other items as weapons, refuting GOP attempts to portray the insurrection as less violent than it was.
Asked by Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-TX) during a hearing of the House Judiciary Committee whether anyone involved in the riot had been armed with a firearm, Wray responded, "I can think of at least one instance where there was an individual with a gun inside the Capitol, but for the most part the weapons were weapons other than firearms."
Gohmert is one of several GOP lawmakers who have downplayed the attack that left five people dead and 140 law enforcement officers injured. Republicans like Rep. Andrew Clyde (R-GA) falsely described the riot as a "normal tourist visit," while Rep. Paul Gosar (R-AZ) described the Trump supporters who violently pushed their way into the Capitol and beat up police officers guarding the building as "peaceful patriots."
Gohmert, for his part, falsely claimed back in May that there was no evidence to suggest the attack was an "armed insurrection" and said the FBI was "unfairly" targeting Donald Trump supporters.
At the hearing, Wray said that nearly 500 people have been arrested and charged with crimes in the wake of the Jan. 6 riot, when a mob of Trump supporters tried to stop Congress from certifying Joe Biden's Electoral College victory.
Wray said that the insurrectionists had "all sorts of weapons, you know, kevlar, tactical vests, bear spray."
A Senate report released on Tuesday detailed the brutal attacks law enforcement officers suffered at the hands of the pro-Trump mob, finding that insurrectionists used weapons such as flag poles, metal fence stakes, and chemical irritants that left some officers with burns that they are still recovering from months after the attack.
The report did not delve into how the attack was fomented, nor how a future one like it can be prevented.
Democrats — and a very small minority of Republicans — are calling for an independent probe of the attack.
But the Republican minority leaders in Congress, House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy and Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, are blocking the formation of a bipartisan commission to answer those questions. Reports say Republican leaders fear such a probe could be imperil their party's chances in the 2022 midterm elections, with Sen. John Thune (R-SD) telling CNN he was concerned the results of an investigation "could be weaponized politically and drug into next year."
Published with permission of The American Independent Foundation.
- Notorious White Nationalists Identified In Capitol Rioting - National ... ›
- Proud Boys Indicted In Capitol Riot Have Police Ties - National Memo ›
- How Militia Gangs Communicated During Capitol Riot - National ... ›
- Capitol Riot Prosecutions Expose 'Oath Keepers' Extremists In ... ›
- Social Media Busts Former GOP Official On Capitol Riot Charges ... ›
- Trumpists Made Plans To Build Gallows Weeks Before Capitol Riot ... ›
- Trump Defense Secretary Disarmed D.C. National Guard Before ... ›
- Senate Judiciary Chairman Demands FBI Answer For Jan. 6 ... ›
- VIDEO: At Jan. 6 Hearing, Republicans Praise Rioters And Push ... ›
- Capitol Rioter Now Says He Was ‘Victim’ Of Internet Disinformation - National Memo ›
- Fearful Of Death Threats, Election Officials Resigning In Droves - National Memo ›
- GOP Rep. Clyde Wouldn't Shake Hand Of Police Officer Who Defended Capitol - National Memo ›
- Gohmert Claims Jan. 6 Insurrection Was FBI ‘Entrapment Scheme’ - National Memo ›
- Emails Show Top Trump Aides Knew Violence Loomed On Jan. 6 - National Memo ›
- ‘Traitor’: Gosar’s Family Urges His Expulsion From Congress - National Memo ›
- Capitol Rioters’ Own Footage Powers New York Times ‘Day Of Rage’ Report - National Memo ›
- FBI Director Christopher Wray says Capitol attack was "domestic ... ›
- Director Wray's Statement on Violent Activity at the US Capitol Building ›
- FBI Director Wray Testifies On Riot, Role Of Right-Wing Extremism ... ›
- FBI chasing 2,000 domestic terror cases, Christopher Wray testifies ›
- US Capitol riot: FBI Director Wray knocks down conspiracy theory ... ›
- FBI's Wray says he's 'not aware' of any specific investigation of ... ›
- FBI chief warns violent 'domestic terrorism' growing in US ›