Trumpists Made Plans To Build Gallows Weeks Before Capitol Riot
Reprinted with permission from Daily Kos
One of the most enduring—and horrifying—sights of the January 6 insurrection was an actual gallows erected on the west side of the Capitol. People for the American Way's Right Wing Watch has revealed that plans to erect the gallows were underway almost as soon as Donald Trump issued his now-infamous call to arms on Twitter.
According to analysis from the nonprofit research group Advance Democracy, literally within hours of Trump calling for his followers to come to Washington on January 6 and "be wild," posters at TheDonald.win—successor to the r/The_Donald subreddit—took it as an order. One poster, CaptainChrisBacon, posted a picture asking, "Who Is Bringing The Gallows On January 6th, 2021?" The picture depicted the hanging of a Confederate war criminal—ironic given the number of Confederate flags on display at the insurrection.
Another poster, sunlessmage743, started a thread about the details of building a gallows, saying it could easily be done "with the right plan and the right people bringing pre cut materials to the site." Respondents were positively giddy. One claimed that the scene would be "so 1776." When user DJT2020 suggested they should also build a guillotine, user webthing offered to build it. User jc99ta mused that a guillotine could be used to slice watermelons when it wasn't being used to behead people.
Talk about a gallows dominated TheDonald.win for days afterward.
One user swiped Home Depot's logo to show just how easy it was to find the materials for a gallows. Another offered to bring a 500-foot paracord as a rope—and warned that they would be on the hunt for insufficiently loyal Republicans, as well as Black Lives Matter and "antifa." He initially backed off on using a paracord when told it could decapitate the person being hanged, but later mused that it would at least keep the person being hanged from thrashing about on the gallows. Among those on the list of targets were the likes of Nancy Pelosi, Adam Schiff, Jerry Nadler, Maxine Waters, Chuck Schumer, and Mitt Romney.
There's more where these came from. Check out Advance Democracy's archive here.
These insurrectionists were dead serious about killing a lot of people. Consider that many of these sans-culottes were heavily armed, and some of them were carrying zip-ties. Simply put, these were not just "tourists." (I'm looking at you, Rep. Andrew Clyde.)
For the better part of the last three years, the Republicans have called Democrats an angry mob. And yet they believe it's too soon to investigate how an actual mob attacked the Capitol. This is yet more evidence that we need to get to the bottom of how this horror happened—with or without the GOP.
- Was The Insurrection Just Another Day In America? - National Memo ›
- Senate Republicans Block Vote On Bipartisan Jan. 6 Commission ... ›
- Post-Insurrection Crackdown On Criminal Extremists Is Gathering ... ›
- Fearful Senate Republicans Will Filibuster To Stop Capitol Riot ... ›
- Greene Claims Capitol Riot Defendants Are 'Like Political Prisoners ... ›
- Notorious White Nationalists Identified In Capitol Rioting - National ... ›
- How Militia Gangs Communicated During Capitol Riot - National ... ›
- Pence Stuns Crowd With Remarks On Insurrection - National Memo ›
- Gohmert Repeats Debunked Claim That Jan. 6 Rioters Were ‘Anti-Trump’ - National Memo ›
- FBI Director Testifies Capitol Rioters Carried ‘All Sorts Of Weapons’ - National Memo ›
- GOP Rep. Clyde Wouldn't Shake Hand Of Police Officer Who Defended Capitol - National Memo ›
- Insurrectionists Turned Informants Are Tightening Screws On Jan. 6 Conspirators - National Memo ›
- Capitol Rioters’ Own Footage Powers New York Times ‘Day Of Rage’ Report - National Memo ›
- FBI Probe Uncovered Virginia Extremists Making Bombs In Wake Of January 6 ›
- Capitol Rioter Who Sought To Lynch Pelosi Cites ‘Biblical’ Defense - National Memo ›
- Oath Keepers Seek Plea Deals In Jan. 6 Insurrection Conspiracy - National Memo ›
- The Capitol Riot Aftermath Bodes Ill For Democracy - National Memo ›
- Child Abuser, Neo-Nazi Among January 6 Defendants Who Keep Criming - National Memo ›
- Final Report: Select Panel Recommends Barring Trump From Public Office - National Memo ›
- Why McCarthy's Betrayal Of Capitol (And National) Security Must Be Stopped - National Memo ›
- Public Defenders Do More For January 6 Suspects Than Trump Ever Will - National Memo ›
- Nooses Spotted As Pro-Trump Rioters Spark Chaos on Capitol ›
- Capitol mob built gallows and chanted 'Hang Mike Pence ... ›
- Advance Democracy report reveals TheDonald.win role in Jan. 6 ... ›
- Capitol Hill insurrection: Decoding the extremist symbols and groups ... ›
- 'Hang Mike Pence': Twitter stops phrase trending after Capitol riot ... ›
- Some Pro-Trump Rioters Wanted More Violence - The Atlantic ›
- Capitol riot more sinister than it looked as gallows, pipes and guns ... ›
- Prosecutors: Capitol Rioters Intended to 'Capture and Assassinate ... ›