Special Counsel Focused On December 2020 Trump Coup Meeting
Special Counsel Jack Smith and Justice Department prosecutors are deeply interested in a 2020 Oval Office meeting involving former President Donald Trump and GOP officials as the DOJ continues to investigate January 6, CNN exclusively reports.
DOJ prosecutors, according to the report, "have specifically inquired about three outside Trump advisers who participated in the meeting: former Trump lawyer Sidney Powell, one-time national security adviser Michael Flynn and former Overstock CEO Patrick Byrne, sources said."
Per CNN, the "heated" December 18, 2020 meeting involved "outside advisers" verbally feuding "with top West Wing attorneys over a plan to have the military seize voting machines in crucial states that Trump had lost," as well as discussions around appointing Sidney Powell as special counsel to investigate supposed voter fraud, and Trump invoking martial law as part of his efforts to overturn the election."
Aside from the December 18 meeting, the report notes December 14 as another date of interest for prosecutors, because "on that day, slates of alternate Republican electors in seven battleground states signed certificates falsely asserting Trump had won," while "members of the Electoral College met in all 50 states to officially cast their ballots, declaring Joe Biden the winner with 306 electoral votes to Trump's 232."
Multiple sources told CNN that investigators have asked several witnesses before the grand jury and during interviews about the meeting, which happened about six weeks after Donald Trump lost the 2020 election. Some witnesses were asked about the meeting months ago, while several others have faced questions about it more recently, including Rudy Giuliani.
According to the report, the evening of the meeting "ended with Trump tweeting that a coming gathering in Washington, DC, on January 6, 2021, to protest the election results 'will be wild.'"
Reprinted with permission from Alternet.
- 'Dark Day': Fox Responds To Trump Indictment With Unhinged Demagoguery ›
- The J6 Prison Choir's 'Patriotic' Ballad With Donald Trump Is A Riot. Literally. ›
- Trump Defense Secretary Disarmed D.C. National Guard Before Capitol Riot ›
- Retired Generals Warn Against Divided Military And Potential Coup In 2024 ›
- Federal And State Prosecutors Are Preparing To Indict Trump's Coup Plot - National Memo ›
- Indicted: The 16 Michigan GOP Officials Charged In Fake Elector Scheme - National Memo ›
- In Court Filing, Giuliani Admits Lying About Georgia Election Workers - National Memo ›
- Digging Out The Damning Details From Defendant Trump's Third Indictment - National Memo ›
- Trump's Coup Conspirators Run Groups Planning His Second Administration - National Memo ›
- Trump Lawyers Busted In Michigan For Tampering With Voting Machines - National Memo ›
- Judge Rejects Trump Attempt To Delay 2020 Coup Trial (VIDEO) - National Memo ›
- Newly Revealed Memo Shows Trump Coup Plotted In Early December 2020 - National Memo ›
- Michigan Republican Threatens 'Civil War' Over Fake Elector Charges - National Memo ›
- Why That Blowhard Bully's Conspiracy Trial Must Be Televised - National Memo ›
- Breaking Down Georgia's Massive, Vivid Indictment Of Trump And His Gang - National Memo ›