Attorney General William Barr is facing multiple calls from Democratic lawmakers to resign, after he held a shambolic “news” conference Thursday morning in which he attempted to pre-spin special counsel Robert Mueller’s findings — before anyone even saw Mueller’s report.
At least five House Democrats have now called on Barr to step down, saying his attempt to whitewash the Mueller report — and act more like a defense attorney for Trump than the chief law enforcement officer of the United States — was disqualifying.
The calls began on Thursday, staring with Rep. Eric Swalwell (D-CA).
“Russia attacked us. The #MuellerReport details a multiplicity of contacts b/w Russia & @realDonaldTrump’s team and that Trump & his team ‘materially impaired’ the investigation,” Swalwell tweeted Thursday “Yet, OUR Attorney General acts as Trump’s defense attorney. He can’t represent both. Barr must resign.”
Other Democratic lawmakers who said Barr must step down include:
- Rep. Norma Torres of California, who tweeted with the hashtag “#LapDogBarrMustResign.”
- California Rep. Barbara Lee, who tweeted on Thursday: “Mueller needs to testify. Barr needs to resign. Trump needs to be held accountable.”
- Rep. Jim McGovern (D-TN) who tweeted that Barr “outright lied” at his news conference and “has lost the trust and confidence of the American people and he should resign.”
- And Rep. Mike Quigley (D-IL), who said on CNN Friday morning that Barr has “extraordinarily damaged the Department of Justice” and should resign.
Other Democratic members of Congress have panned Barr’s out-of-line news conference, calling out the multiple lies he told in an effort to make the Mueller report look better for Trump than it actually was.
Barr’s news conference ultimately did nothing to help Trump, because the public has eyes. Americans could read the damning evidence of obstruction of justice and communications with Russians for themselves and make their own judgements.
In the end, all the attorney general did was irreparably stain whatever “legacy” he may have hoped to leave.
Published with permission of The American Independent.
- Bill Barr’s Vote Suppression Follows An Old Script - National Memo ›
- WATCH: Trump Demands Barr Appoint Special Counsel To Probe Biden 'Before The Election' - National Memo ›
- Barr Resigns After Uttering The Truth About Trump's False 'Election Fraud' Claims - National Memo ›
- Barr Deserts Sinking Ship Before Trump Can Push Him Off - National Memo ›