Reprinted with permission from Alternet
Ivanka Trump in sworn testimony claimed she "really didn't have an involvement" in the planning of her father's January 2017 inauguration event, but according to Mother Jones she "testified inaccurately during her deposition" in a lawsuit brought by Washington, D.C. Attorney General Karl Racine.
"As Racine put it," Mother Jones reports, "the lawsuit maintains 'that the Inaugural Committee, a nonprofit corporation, coordinated with the Trump family to grossly overpay for event space in the Trump International Hotel… The Committee also improperly used non-profit funds to throw a private party [at the Trump Hotel] for the Trump family costing several hundred thousand dollars.' In short, the attorney general accused the Trump gang of major grifting, and he is seeking to recover the money paid to the Trump Hotel so those funds can be used for real charitable purposes."
Ivanka Trump "was part of the decision-making for various aspects of the inauguration, including even the menus for events," despite her sworn testimony that she "really didn't have an involvement" in the planning aside from giving "feedback" if her "opinion was solicited." The report cites "documents filed in that case and material obtained by Mother Jones."
Emails between several individuals suggest Ivanka Trump distanced herself from the events after they were unable to attract "A-listers."
Other parts of the deposition show Ivanka Trump "downplayed her relationship with" Stephanie Winston Wolkoff, apparently a friend of both Ivanka and Melania Trump who later would write a scathing exposé that included then-First Lady Melania Trump's now infamous profanity-laden tirade about kids, cages, and Christmas.
Ivanka Trump "described Winston Wolkoff as 'a person I knew in New York who does events,' adding, 'I didn't know Stephanie Winston that well. I just knew she was very good at planning. I just knew her in that capacity.'"
Emails appear to show that too was false.
Read the entire report here.
- Ivanka And Jared Lead Trumpsters In New 'Policy Institute' Grift ... ›
- Did Don Jr. Lie To Prosecutors Under Oath? Watch The Videotape ... ›
- Inside Ivanka And Jared's Ethics-Free Money Machine - National ... ›
- Ivanka Won't Run Against Sen. Rubio In 2022 Election - National ... ›
- New Lawsuit Says Trumps Oversaw Inaugural Overbilling - National ... ›
- "Ivanka's Choice": A Morality Play In One Act - National Memo ›
- Feds Indict And Arrest Trump Pal Tom Barrack For Foreign Agent Violations - National Memo ›
- New Probe Is Focused On Financing Of Trump’s Scottish Golf Resorts ›
- Ivanka Won’t Run Against Sen. Rubio In 2022 Election ›
- Donald and Ivanka Trump Were Involved in Inauguration's Inflated ... ›
- Ivanka Trump questioned over inauguration funds 'misuse' - BBC ... ›
- Ivanka Trump Is Trending After Unearthed Emails Suggest ... ›
- Ivanka Trump Is Extremely Testy About Accusations the Trump ... ›
- Ivanka Trump deposed in DC probe of Trump inauguration ›
- Documents Show Ivanka Trump Didn't Testify Accurately in ... ›
- Ivanka and Donald Trump Jr. Were Close to Being Charged With ... ›
- How Ivanka Trump and Donald Trump, Jr., Avoided a Criminal ... ›
- Donald and Ivanka Trump 'repeatedly gave false statements about ... ›
- In Sworn Testimony in Inauguration Scandal Case, Donald Trump Jr ... ›