Reprinted with permission from Alternet
Lawyers affiliated with a global activism organization are intensifying their push for a "McMafia" legal order against former President Donald Trump.
Under that order, Trump would be required to disclose financial origin of his "all-cash purchases and development of his two Scottish golf resorts," HuffPost reports.
Citing the Trump Organization's legal and financial woes with prosecutors in New York, the lawyers argue that their concerns about the Aberdeenshire and Ayrshire properties have merit.
"It's evident from the matters set out in the petition that there are real and substantial concerns about financial arrangements of the Trump Organization, of which Mr. Trump is the sole or principal owner," Springham argued.
Springham also referenced the charges against Allen Weisselberg, former chief financial officer for the Trump Organization. Prosecutors allege Weisselberg was part of "a 15-year tax scheme to defraud the city, state and federal government by concealing the salaries of top company executives."
In fact, Weisselberg is even accused of hiding certain details about more than $1.7 million of his own income.
Springham is now seeking an extension outside of his three-month deadline to prepare a full case for the court, as he noted that the Scottish Parliament voted against a previous motion that would have required Trump to disclose the sources of his cash.
HuffPost reports Judge Lord Sandison said "that as far as the issues raised by the petition were concerned, they passed the test set out by the law, so he was convinced "there is enough to have a sensible argument."
- Indictment: Trump Thinks He Can Choose Which Laws To Heed ... ›
- 'A Scheme To Defraud': Manhattan DA's 15-Count Indictment Hits ... ›
- Manhattan D.A. Investigating Second Trump Organization Executive ... ›
- 'Major Grifting': Ivanka Testified Falsely In Inauguration Probe ... ›
- Manhattan District Attorney 'Escalating' Probe Of Trump Tax And ... ›
- How Trump Plans To Defame New York Prosecutors Probing His ... ›
- Will Ivanka Be Indicted Next In Trump Organization Criminal Probe ... ›
- Trump Urged Justice Department To Probe QAnon's Conspiracy ... ›
- Manhattan DA Follows Money In Trump Probe With Top Exec's ... ›
- Suddenly, Republicans Are Upset Over A President Leaving The White House ›
- Are Trump's Scottish Golf Courses a Front for Money Laundering ... ›
- Trump's Scottish and Irish golf resorts spur a new round of scrutiny ... ›
- Scotland's Parliament rejects call for government to seek probe into ... ›
- Trump's Scottish Golf Courses Face Legal Challenge Seeking ... ›
- Trump golf course financing under scrutiny in Scotland, but ... ›
- Pressure Mounting To Launch 'McMafia Law' Probe Into Trump's ... ›
- EXCLUSIVE Court action seeks probe of Trump's Scottish golf ... ›
- Trump wealth order probe urged over Scottish golf resorts - BBC News ›