McCarthy: Nobody Is ‘Questioning The Legitimacy’ Of The 2020 Election
Reprinted with permission from American Independent
House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy said on Wednesday that no one is "questioning the legitimacy of the presidential election," even as multiple members of his own party, including Donald Trump, continue to do exactly that.
"I don't think anybody is questioning the legitimacy of the presidential election," McCarthy said at a news conference outside the White House, where he met with President Joe Biden on Wednesday. "That's all over with. We are sitting here with the president today."
McCarthy made the comment just hours after Republicans ousted Rep. Liz Cheney (R-WY) from her House leadership role for her outspoken criticism of Donald Trump and his lies of a stolen election.
Cheney accused members of her own party of going down an authoritarian path by not calling out voter fraud lies, saying in a Tuesday night speech that Republicans need to "speak the truth. Our election was not stolen. And America has not failed."
House Republicans are likely to replace Cheney with is Rep. Elise Stefanik (R-NY), who is still calling Trump "the president."
On January 6, the day of the Capitol insurrection, Stefanik lied about voter fraud, falsely claiming in an "open letter" to her constituents that "more than 140,000 votes came from underage, deceased, and otherwise unauthorized voters — in Fulton County alone."
It's a lie Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger said was outrageous.
"The suggestion that one-fourth of all ballots cast in Fulton County in November were illegal is ludicrous," Raffensperger told CNN fact-checker Daniel Dale.
What's more, McCarthy's claim that no one is questioning the outcome of the race came two days after Trump himself issued yet another lie-filled post on his new blog claiming there was widespread fraud in the election and that he, not Biden, won.
McCarthy himself has worked to raise doubts about the election outcome.
On November 6, one day before the race was called for Biden, McCarthy said in a Fox News appearance that "President Trump won this election, so everyone who's listening, do not be quiet. We cannot allow this to happen before our very eyes."
McCarthy also backed a since-failed lawsuit from the Texas Attorney General that sought to invalidate the votes in states Biden won. And he later was one of the 147 members of Congress to vote to block certification of Joe Biden's win — based off lies of fraud and irregularities in the election.
Ultimately, the consistent lies from Trump and the GOP about a stolen election have led Republican voters to believe Biden's win was illegitimate.
An Economist/YouGov poll from the end of April found 74 percent of Republican voters don't believe Biden legitimately won the election.
It's something Cheney said in her Tuesday speech she is afraid of.
"I will not sit back and watch in silence while others lead our party down a path that abandons the rule of law and joins the former President's crusade to undermine our democracy," Cheney said.
Published with permission of The American Independent Foundation.
- Why Republicans Want To Replace Cheney With 'Big Liar' Stefanik ... ›
- Republicans Want No Independent Probe Of Jan. 6 Insurrection ... ›
- Announcing Cheney Ouster, McCarthy Insists GOP Is 'A Big Tent ... ›
- McCarthy Skirted Ethics Rules To Rent Pollster's Luxury Pad ... ›
- In Trump's GOP, They Can't Handle The Truth - National Memo ›
- McCarthy Facing GOP Backlash Over Cheney Ouster - National Memo ›
- Kevin McCarthy still doesn't call Joe Biden president elect | The ... ›
- Scalise says Biden presidency legitimate, but refuses to say election ... ›
- McCarthy after ousting Cheney: 'I don't think anybody is questioning ... ›
- Kevin McCarthy lives in an idyllic universe where his party no longer ... ›
- Kevin McCarthy Humiliates Himself Again | The Nation ›
- McCarthy: "I don't think anybody is questioning the legitimacy" of ... ›
- Kevin McCarthy echoed Trump's false claim that he won the election ›
- Erin Burnett: Kevin McCarthy's 'big tent' is a lie - CNN Video ›
- Kevin McCarthy, Shameless Hack, Claims He Never Supported ... ›
- McCarthy Makes It Clear: Embrace Trump's Election Lies or Get ... ›