Reprinted with permission from Alternet
In her Thursday floor speech before the House voted to strip her of all her committee assignments, Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-GA) said that since she started running for office, she never voiced support for any of the extremist conspiracy theories that she had previously touted on social media. However, that's a lie.
"I never said once during my entire campaign QAnon," Greene said in her Thursday speech. "I never once said any of the things that I am being accused of today during my campaign. I never said any of these things since I have been elected for Congress. These were words of the past."
To be clear, the Georgia congresswoman wasn't "accused" of saying extremist things in the past — she outright said them using her own social media account. It's not an accusation that she advocated for violence against House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and former President Barack Obama, said that an airplane never hit the Pentagon during the September 11 terrorist attacks, said all school shootings were staged events meant to increase firearm regulations and said that wealthy Jews used a space laser to start the 2020 West Coast wildfires. She said them. Full stop.
But as recently as January 31, Green posted a tweet that basically called anyone who opposed her a pedophile, a dog whistle to her QAnon supporters.
"What would the list of the anti-Trump pedos and associates look like?" her tweet began. "It would likely contain all of the people currently frothing with MTG hate. List though. Isn't that what they do? They put us all on list. After me, they are coming for more Republicans on their list."
What would the list of the anti-Trump pedos and associates look like? It would likely contain all of the people cu… https://t.co/T4iBp4bxwd— Marjorie Taylor Greene 🇺🇸 (@Marjorie Taylor Greene 🇺🇸)1612150336.0
Pedos, in this case, isn't merely a gross insult accusing her opponents of child rape, its a thinly veiled reference to QAnon, a conspiracy theory that thinks that Democrats and Hollywood elites are running an international, Satanist cannibalistic child-sex trafficking and torture ring, and it fits in with Greene's past statements in support of QAnon.
In the past, Greene has accused former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton of slicing off a child's face and wearing it before drinking the child's blood. She also accused Obama of starting a citizenship program for undocumented immigrants who were brought to the U.S. as children just so he could molest kids and harvest their organs.
While she may not have actually uttered the word "QAnon" since she began her run for office, she doesn't need to. QAnon supporters are great at picking up dog whistles and keywords like "pedos" to identify their enemies and allies. And Greene knows as well as anyone else that when you accuse someone of raping and slaughtering children, you're also calling for violence against that person, whether you outright state it or not.
- Why Are Republicans Going Quazy For QAnon? - National Memo ›
- GOP Operatives Push Green Party, Kanye West Ballot Lines ... ›
- Here's The Definitive Guide To Rep. Greene's Crackpot ... ›
- #EndorseThis: Colbert Drops Tuneful Burn Of GOP's Greene ... ›
- #EndorseThis: To Parody QAnon Marjorie, Randy Rainbow ... ›
- Georgia GOP Nominee Greene Circulated Anti-Semitic Conspiracy ... ›
- Elitists, Idiotic Hallucinations, And Marjorie Taylor Greene - National ... ›
- We Can Stop Wondering Who The Republicans Want To Be - National Memo ›
- Wall Street Journal ‘Sanitizes’ Rep. Greene’s Bloodthirsty Behavior - National Memo ›
- Fascist Insurgency Persists With Merging Of QAnon And Militia Movements - National Memo ›
- On Viral Video Recorded Jan. 5, Rep. Greene Says ‘Get Ready To Fight For America Tomorrow’ - National Memo ›
- Rep. Greene Mocks Trans Pride Flag Outside Of Her Office - National Memo ›
- How Dumb Are QAnon Believers? Thousands Fell For This New Scam - National Memo ›
- Even Republicans Are Growing Frustrated With Rep. Greene’s Pointless Antics - National Memo ›
- Rep Greene Reinvents Herself As Raving Anti-LGBT Zealot ›
- Rep. Greene Thinks U.S. Territory Guam Gets Too Much ‘Foreign Aid’ - National Memo ›
- Poll: Nearly Half Of QAnon Followers Believe In Global Jewish Conspiracy - National Memo ›
- Romney Rebukes Marjorie Taylor Greene And Trump: 'Lies Of A ... ›
- Marjorie Taylor Green:'These are her words, her lies': Cooper calls ... ›
- Mitch McConnell Says Marjorie Taylor Greene's 'Loony Lies' Are a ... ›
- Marjorie Taylor Greene mocked Parkland survivor in unearthed ... ›
- How the “QAnon Candidate” Marjorie Taylor Greene Reached the ... ›
- GOP targets Ilhan Omar after Dems try to oust Marjorie Taylor Greene ›
- Marjorie Taylor Greene indicated support for executing prominent ... ›
- Marjorie Taylor Greene: US House votes to strip Republican of key ... ›
- Marjorie Taylor Greene: QAnon Supporter Who Made Bigoted ... ›