Reprinted with permission from Alternet
With the Taliban now in control of Afghanistan, former Secretary of State Mike Pompeo is vehemently criticizing President Joe Biden for withdrawing U.S. troops from that country — neglecting to mention that Biden was essentially following the plan that Pompeo and former President Donald Trump came up with in 2020. MSNBC's Mehdi Hasan, in response, has posted a video showing how badly Pompeo is now contradicting what he had to say about Afghanistan and the Taliban last year.
Some right-wing Republicans have at least been consistent in their views on Afghanistan. Rep. Liz Cheney of Wyoming, Rep. Adam Kinzinger of Illinois and former National Security John Bolton have been slamming the Trump/Pompeo plan for withdrawing U.S. troops from Afghanistan as badly flawed and saying that Biden and his advisers were wrong to go along with it. But Pompeo, as Hasan's video demonstrates, is now contradicting much of what he had to say in 2020.
Courtesy of the @MehdiHasanShow... Mike Pompeo, then and now: https://t.co/W3bED3wtZn— Mehdi Hasan (@Mehdi Hasan)1630072844.0
The video shows Pompeo, in 2020, praising "the senior Taliban leadership" for "working diligently to reduce violence," followed by the Pompeo of 2021 saying of the Taliban, "These are butchers…. These are evil people" and telling Fox News' Chris Wallace, "We never trusted the Taliban."
Pompeo is seen in 2020 saying with confidence, "There are a series of commitments the Taliban have made. We have every expectation they will follow through on them." And Pompeo, in 2020, expressed confidence that the Taliban would "break" their "relationship" with al-Qaeda and "work alongside" the United States "to destroy, deny resources to and have al-Qaeda depart from that place." But in a 2021 clip included in Hasan's video, Pompeo complains, "We have allowed al-Qaeda to run free and wild all around Afghanistan."
The video ends on a mocking note with a clip of Pompeo angrily saying, "No, I'm not defensive at all."
Here are some responses to Hasan's video:
@mehdirhasan @MehdiHasanShow @mikepompeo - the hyporcite then and the hypocrite now!— Azhar (@Azhar)1630081526.0
@mehdirhasan @MehdiHasanShow Don’t you just love the power of video! The ability to make a person look like a HABIT… https://t.co/7JQjzJRL4E— Nicole Nikki (@Nicole Nikki)1630084096.0
- U.S. Sending More Consular Officers To Assist Afghanistan ... ›
- Trump's Brilliant Plan? Bomb Our Afghan Bases,Then Withdraw US ... ›
- Pompeo Attacks Biden Foreign Policy — And Twitter Claps Back ... ›
- Pompeo's Hometown Paper Roasts His Afghan Hypocrisy - National ... ›
- Trump, The Taliban, And The Fall Of Kabul - National Memo ›
- Under Trump, Republicans Favored Swift Afghan Withdrawal — And ... ›
- UK Defense Minister Blames Trump 'Peace Plan' For Abrupt Taliban ... ›
- Over 70000 Evacuated From Kabul As CIA Chief Meets With Taliban ... ›
- Republicans Frantically Erasing Trump's 'Historic' Deal With Taliban ... ›
- Danziger Draws - National Memo ›
- Newly Revealed Charges Of Misconduct Against Pompeo In State Dept. Documents ›
- Pompeo: Afghan fight against Taliban 'a matter of will' ›
- Pompeo meets with Taliban delegation in Qatar after mortar barrage ... ›
- Adam Kinzinger: Donald Trump and Mike Pompeo Got 'Rolled' by ... ›
- Pompeo Meets With Afghan, Taliban Negotiators in Qatar | Voice of ... ›
- John Bolton: 'Impossible' to 'Rewrite History' on Mike Pompeo ... ›
- Mike Pompeo takes his own arrows over the Afghanistan collapse ... ›
- Mike Pompeo on the Taliban: A timeline - The Washington Post ›
- MSNBC's Mehdi Hasan throws Mike Pompeo's words back in his ... ›
- Mike Pompeo Says U.S. Set for Full Troop Withdrawal From ... ›