House Panel Dramatically Expands Jan. 6 Investigation
Reprinted with permission from Alternet
Just two days after demanding a massive trove of records from the federal government, the bipartisan House Select Committee on the January 6 Attack is indicating it is expanding its investigation even further. On Friday Chairman Bennie Thompson (D-MS) sent letters to 15 social media companies requesting a massive amount of data on disinformation, extremism, and foreign influence.
The letter details a list of 14 topics to be included, including data and documents on "Misinformation, disinformation, and malinformation relating to the 2020 election"; efforts to overturn the certification of the election; "Domestic violent extremists"; and "foreign malign influence," among many other topics, according to Forbes' Andrew Solender.
Among the 15 companies or platforms are Facebook, Gab, Google, Parler, Reddit, Snapchat, Telegram, Tik-Tok, Twitch, Twitter, and YouTube, Solender adds. Also included are message boards 4chan and 8kun that have been popular with QAnon cultists and other conspiracy theorists, and thedonald.win, a pro-Trump message board that has since been scrubbed of its content. And Zello, a walkie-talkie app which "hosted far-right groups who stormed Capitol," The Guardian reported earlier this year.
Solender posted the letter. Click on each of the four images to expand:
- Yes, There Is A Conspiracy - National Memo ›
- Jordan Should Be Called As Jan. 6 Witness — And Here's What ... ›
- #EndorseThis: Officer Pounds Table In Angry Testimony During ... ›
- McCarthy Decries 'Partisan' Jan. 6 Committee — Which Is Exactly ... ›
- Pelosi Announces Select Committee To Probe Jan. 6 Insurrection ... ›
- Democrats Must Begin Jan. 6 Investigation -- Now - National Memo ›
- House Select Panel On Jan. 6 Attack ‘Is Going After Trump Now’ ›
- Democrats Blast McCarthy’s Obstruction Of Jan. 6 Investigation ›
- Capitol riot: Jan. 6 committee demands records from Facebook ... ›
- Jan. 6 committee seeks Trump administration records as ... ›
- Opinion | The Jan. 6 select committee's document request shows it ... ›
- Jan. 6 investigation will seek phone records related to attack ... ›
- House Jan. 6 committee requests information on Trump and Capitol ... ›
- Trump makes executive privilege threat as House committee seeks ... ›
- Jan. 6 Select Committee Probe Zeroes In On Trump Officials With ... ›