Tag: trump cabinet
Trump's Labor Secretary Probed For Misconduct As Two Aides Are Suspended

Trump's Labor Secretary Probed For Misconduct As Two Aides Are Suspended

One of President Donald Trump's Cabinet officials is now in hot water over an investigation into alleged alcohol abuse on the job and relations with a subordinate. And on Monday, some of her staffers were put on leave.

That's according to an article in Bloomberg, which reported that two senior staffers in the Department of Labor (DOL) have been suspended in the wake of a DOL inspector general investigation into Labor Secretary Lori Chavez-Deremer. One of Bloomberg's sources anonymously confided to the outlet that Chavez-Deremer's chief of staff Jihun Han and deputy chief of staff Rebecca Wright have been officially put on leave.

The New York Post recently reported that DOL staffers were allegedly fabricating work trips on behalf of Chavez-Deremer so she could visit family and friends. The labor secretary reportedly had more than 50 official trips in 2025, visiting 37 states. Chavez-Deremer is also accused of drinking alcohol in her office, and for having an inappropriate relationship with an unnamed male subordinate.

According to the Post, Chavez-Deremer — who is married — has hosted the staffer at her Washington D.C. apartment on multiple occasions, and also invited them to her hotel room during work trips. The Post's sources also referred to the labor secretary as the "boss from hell," accusing her of ordering employees to run personal errands for Chavez-Deremer and perform other mundane tasks unrelated to their jobs.

Chavez-Deremer's alleged inappropriate relationship reportedly involved one episode in which she invited the subordinate to her Las Vegas hotel room, where she was staying to celebrate her niece's 40th birthday in October, when the federal government was shut down. The labor secretary reportedly dismissed her security detail before inviting the man over.

The Post also alleged that when Han asked Chavez-Deremer about a stash of alcohol she kept near her office desk, the labor secretary reportedly told her chief of staff to "leave it alone." The stash reportedly includes champagne, bourbon and Kahlua.

Trump administration spokespeople denied the report. White House spokeswoman Taylor Rogers called the accusations "baseless," and insisted that Chavez-Deremer "is an incredible asset to President Trump’s team and she will continue advancing the President’s America First agenda."

"These unsubstantiated allegations are categorically false,” DOL spokesperson Courtney Parella told the Post. “Secretary Chavez-DeRemer has complied with all ethics rules and Department policies and remains fully engaged in carrying out the Department’s work on behalf of this historic Administration. The Secretary is considering all possible avenues, including legal action, to fight these baseless accusations from anonymous sources.”

Reprinted with permission from Alternet

Military Leaders Deliver Scorching Rebuke Of Hegseth In Far-Right Newspaper

Military Leaders Deliver Scorching Rebuke Of Hegseth In Far-Right Newspaper

Military leaders are speaking out against Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth, panning his widely mocked speech delivered to a captive audience of military brass last month.

The conservative Washington Times, which has consistently backed President Donald Trump and supported the GOP and far-right causes, doesn’t usually publish anything that’s unflattering to the right—until Hegseth.

“It was a massive waste of time. … If he ever had us, he lost us,” a current Army general told the outlet.

Speaking about Hegseth’s leadership style, a senior officer explained, “Mainly what I see from him are not serious things. It’s, ’Why did this service member tweet this?’ Or internal politics and drama. That’s mostly what I see.”

Sources also told the Times that they believe Hegseth is “simultaneously doing deep damage to the military, both from a public relations standpoint and structurally behind the scenes, that may not be fully apparent until months or even years from now.”

Another officer criticized Hegseth, who served as a host on Fox News, for “the theater of it all” since assuming his position, saying his speech was “announced on stage in public in this grandstanding kind of way.”

During the September 30 speech, Hegseth demanded military leaders to ditch their traditional code of ethics, which he called “stupid rules of engagement.”

Instead of adhering to decades-old military codes to reduce violence and casualties, Hegseth said “warfighters” should focus on tactics that would “intimidate, demoralize, hunt, and kill the enemies of our country.”

Taxpayers were forced to foot the bill for the speech—for which Hegseth ordered generals to travel to Washington—instead of using the Pentagon’s existing communications infrastructure.

The speech was also criticized by women veterans, including members of Congress, for his bigoted remarks about women in the armed services.

But the extraordinarily candid comments to the Times represent another controversy in Hegseth’s rocky tenure leading the military. He began under a cloud of allegations of financial impropriety, excessive drinking, and sexual assault, along with concerns about his qualifications—or lack thereof—merely spouting off during frequent Fox appearances.

In addition to executing Trump’s agenda of purging the military of references to racial and gender diversity, Hegseth has recently seen the departure of multiple military officials, most recently Navy Adm. Alvin Holsey, head of U.S. Southern Command.

At the same time, the administration has been criticized for military strikes in South America, purportedly targeting drug traffickers but without any independent verification or congressional oversight.

Before that, several journalists—including for conservative outlets—walked out in protest of new rules that required their reporting to be pre-approved by Hegseth. Even reporters from Hegseth’s former employer, Fox News, voiced concerns about the restrictions.

Hegseth was also infamously involved in a leak of military plans to a reporter in a Signal group chat, and he has since focused on hunting down his own staff for comments critical of deceased bigot Charlie Kirk.

Hegseth and Trump have tried to rebrand the Defense Department as the “Department of War,” but a real name change requires congressional action. So while he still oversees the Department of Defense, those under his command appear to be fed up with his bullshit.

Reprinted with permission from Daily Kos

In Cultish Cabinet Meeting, Trump Lackeys Hawk 'Gulf Of America' Hats

In Cultish Cabinet Meeting, Trump Lackeys Hawk 'Gulf Of America' Hats

The members of President Donald Trump’s Cabinet sat behind red MAGA-style hats emblazoned with the inaccurate terminology “Gulf of America” during a televised White House meeting held on Wednesday.

While the hats are not available on Trump’s official online store as of the time of writing, he has frequently used his presidency to promote MAGA-branded merchandise. It is just one of many ways that Trump has used his publicly funded office to enrich himself.

The administration has tried to push the rebrand of the Gulf of Mexico as the “Gulf of America” for months and has successfully convinced digital map providers like Google and Apple to display it. But others have resisted, like the Associated Press, which continues to describe the body of water by its historically accurate and globally recognized name. In response, Trump has banned the AP from covering White House events and has been involved in legal wrangling as he attacks freedom of the press.

As if the whole “Gulf of America” hat thing wasn’t absurd enough, billionaire Elon Musk also attended, wearing two different MAGA-style hats on his head. The attention-hungry move follows reports that he will soon step back from his role in steering the unpopular Trump White House.

Elon Musk is wearing two Trump caps on top of each other

[image or embed]

— Aaron Rupar (@atrupar.com) April 30, 2025 at 5:45 PM

Adding to the Cabinet meeting’s cult-like atmosphere, Trump opened the gathering by insisting they share a false reality. Lying, he claimed that it was not his fault that the nation's gross domestic product shrunk in the first quarter of 2025. Instead, he incorrectly blamed former President Joe Biden.

“That’s Biden. That’s not Trump,” Trump complained. “I was very against everything that Biden was doing in terms of the economy, destroying our country.”

In reality, the economy is suffering because of Trump’s chaotic tariff moves. His policies have increased the costs of goods and caused global economic uncertainty. The shrinking economy has virtually nothing to do with the former president.

When Trump took office, the U.S. economy was booming following policies that Biden put in place to recover from the COVID-19-fueled downturn under Trump.

The strange hats and the promotion of a false reality with Trump’s Cabinet of billionaires show evidence of a cult of self-deception. Trump and his team may try to sell a false version of reality to the public, where the Gulf of Mexico is renamed and tariffs are working out—but public opinion polling shows it isn’t working.

Trump is unpopular and so are his ideas, and a red hat isn’t going to make that go away.

Reprinted with permission from Daily Kos.

Kathleen Sgamma

Trump Cabinet Nominee Withdraws Over (Sane) January 6 Comments

Kathleen Sgamma, President Donald Trump’s pick to head the Bureau of Land Management, sent shockwaves throughout Washington, D.C., on Thursday after withdrawing her name just hours before her confirmation hearing.

Republican Sen. Mike Lee of Utah announced Sgamma’s withdrawal at the start of the hearing, but Politico reported that her decision came after investigative outlet Documented published a 2021 memo where the oil and gas lobbyist condemned Trump’s role in spreading misinformation about the January 6, 2021, insurrection.

“I am disgusted by the violence I witnessed yesterday and President Trump’s role in spreading misinformation that incited it. I’m disgusted he discredited all the good work he did reorienting the judiciary back toward respect for the rule of law and constitution by dishonoring the vote of the People and the rulings of those very same judges on his numerous challenges,” the memo quotes Sgamma saying.

Sgamma likely withdrew her nomination not because she’s still upset with Trump, but because the leak of her past comments is embarrassing for both of them. After all, she knew about the Capitol attack when she was nominated and seemed totally on board with Trump’s energy agenda at the time.

While her comments about the insurrection were out of step with today’s GOP, they reflected the outrage that many Republicans shared in the immediate aftermath. And though Sgamma distanced herself from Trump at that time, she’s certainly no liberal—she even contributed to Project 2025.

Trump has continued defending the insurrectionists, calling them “patriots” and even pardoning them on Day 1 of his second term. He’s since doubled down on his false claims that the 2020 election was stolen, insisting that anyone who refuses to spread his lies is the real problem. And it seems that Sgamma has now bought into Trump’s propaganda.

“Unfortunately, at this time, I need to withdraw my nomination. I will continue to support President Trump and fight for his agenda to Unleash American Energy in the private sector,” Sgamma said in her resignation statement.

While some Republican senators told Politico they weren’t given a heads-up about the withdrawal, some Trump allies, including former Interior Secretary David Bernhardt, suggested that Sgamma’s withdrawal was inevitable.

“Individuals who know their views don’t align with the president… cause needless harm and conflict, hindering the president’s agenda,” he wrote on X.

Sgamma’s resignation marks the third Trump cabinet pick to either withdraw or have their nomination pulled.

Earlier, the White House backed off nominating Rep. Elise Stefanik of New York for United Nations ambassador, fearing losing a reliable GOP vote in their razor-thin House majority. Similarly, David Weldon’s nomination to lead the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention was pulled once it became clear he didn’t have the votes to get confirmed.

With the Bureau of Land Management overseeing energy production on federally owned lands—a key part of Trump’s second-term priorities—it remains to be seen whether his energy agenda will take another hit following Sgamma’s withdrawal.

While her decision may have been political, it also highlights the ongoing consequences of the insurrection, raising questions about whether there’s truly a divide between Trump and those who refuse to embrace his false election claims.

Reprinted with permission from Daily Kos.

Shop our Store

Headlines

Editor's Blog

Corona Virus

Trending

World