Reprinted with permission from Alternet
Alan Dershowitz panned the performance of President Donald Trump's first lawyer in his Senate impeachment trial, Bruce Castor, in an appearance during the proceedings on Tuesday. Dershowitz appeared bewildered at the opening remarks.
"I have no idea what he's doing," said Dershowitz, who defended Trump during his first impeachment. "Maybe he'll bring it home, but right now, it does not appear to me to be effective advocacy."
Castor's rambling and unfocused argument was widely criticized. Noting that Castor had seemed to go out of his way to praise the Senators, Dershowitz said: "Maybe they want to be buttered up, maybe they want to be told what great people they are and how he knows two Senators, but it's not the kind of argument I would have made, I have to tell you that."
Instead, Dershowitz, who was recently exposed for trying to get presidential clemency for convicted child sex trafficker George Nader, said he would have argued that the president's alleged incitement of an insurrection was protected First Amendment speech. Many other experts and scholars have argued, however, that the First Amendment does not cover Trump's conduct.
Watch the clip below:
How bad is Bruce Castor's presentation in defense of Trump so far? Newsmax cuts into it so Alan Dershowitz can tras… https://t.co/QRyr4Sh2Co— Justin Baragona (@Justin Baragona)1612902791.0
- George Conway Rips Trump Lawyers' Arguments To Shreds ... ›
- WATCH: Impeachment Trial Will Feature Video Of Trump's ... ›
- Law Prof Cited By Trump Team Says They 'Flat-Out Misrepresented ... ›
- Trump Defense Lawyers Donated To McConnell Campaign ... ›
- With Feb. 9 Trial Looming, Five Lawyers Quit Trump's Impeachment ... ›
- Trump’s Impeachment Lawyer Made A Grave Error On Fox News - National Memo ›
- Trump Defense Falsely Blames ‘Antifa’ For Capitol Riot - National Memo ›
- Trump Lawyer: ’There Was No Insurrection’ So He’s Innocent - National Memo ›
- Senate Acquits Trump Despite Bipartisan Support For Impeachment - National Memo ›
- WATCH: Did Trump’s Lawyer Purloin Senate Coasters After Verdict? - National Memo ›
- Scholar says Trump's lawyers misrepresented his research in ... ›
- 144 Constitutional Lawyers Call Trump's First Amendment Defense ... ›
- The central flaw in Trump's impeachment defense - The Washington ... ›
- Trump impeachment defense: Five attorneys leave team less than ... ›
- Read Trump's Impeachment Defense Memo - The New York Times ›
- Meet Trump's Impeachment Defense Team : Trump Impeachment ... ›
- Legal scholar chides Trump impeachment defense for ... ›
- Trump's Impeachment Brief: Defense's Argument Ahead Of Trial ... ›