With Feb. 9 Trial Looming, Five Lawyers Quit Trump's Impeachment Defense Team
Butch Bowers, the attorney leading Donald Trump's impeachment defense has quit, followed by the four other attorneys on the case, according to multiple media outlets. Their abrupt resignations, reportedly prompted by a disagreement over trial strategy, have left the former president without a defense team less than days before proceedings in the Senate are scheduled to begin on February 9.
Bowers, a respected trial attorney from South Carolina, was recommended to Trump by Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC), one of the most aggressive Trump supporters in the Senate. Three other South Carolina lawyers who had joined Bowers on the defense team – former prosecutor Deborah Barbier and trial attorneys Greg Harris and Johnny Gasser – dropped out shortly after Bowers' departure became public on Saturday evening. A fifth member of the team, Josh Howard, was reported to have left by CNN White House correspondent Kaitlan Collins.
Collins also reported in a tweet that "Trump wanted the attorneys to argue there was mass election fraud and it was stolen from him rather than focus on proposed arguments about constitutionality." In other words, Trump tried to induce the lawyers to promote his big lie, an ethical violation they declined to perform for him.
A third attorney, Josh Howard, who was also recently added to Trump's defense team, has also left, I'm told. Trump… https://t.co/Y3MSh4BY1N— Kaitlan Collins (@Kaitlan Collins) 1612059347
Senate Republicans and other Trump defenders have claimed that the Constitution doesn't permit the impeachment of presidents who have left office, although other officials have been impeached after leaving their positions.
Trump spokesman Jason Miller confirmed that the legal team had dispersed and suggested that new legal representatives might be announced shortly. Trump has encountered difficulty in finding lawyers, with his former White House counsel Pat Cipollone and his former impeachment counsel Jay Sekulow among those who have declined to participate in the upcoming trial.
- Healing Will Come — After The Cancer Of Trump Is Removed ... ›
- WATCH: Impeachment Trial Will Feature Video Of Trump's ... ›
- Danziger Draws - National Memo ›
- How To Punish Trump For Sedition Even If Impeachment Fails - National Memo ›
- Trump Revives ’Stop The Steal’ Lies In His Impeachment Response - National Memo ›
- Republicans Fear Embarrassment And Worse At Trump’s Senate Trial - National Memo ›
- Rep. Raskin, Impeachment Manager, Explains Succinctly Why Trial Must Proceed - National Memo ›
- Law Prof Cited By Trump Team Says They ‘Flat-Out Misrepresented’ His Work - National Memo ›
- #EndorseThis: Trump Impeachment Trial Opens With Sobering Video - National Memo ›
- Polls: Most Americans Want Trump Convicted And Barred From Federal Office - National Memo ›
- Dershowitz on Trump Lawyer: ‘I Have No Idea What He’s Doing’ - National Memo ›
- Cogent, Persuasive Impeachment Managers Scramble Trump Defense - National Memo ›
- WATCH Rep. Raskin’s Powerful — And Tearful — Summation At Impeachment Trial - National Memo ›
- VIDEO: Raskin Shows How Trump ‘Praised And Encouraged And Cultivated Violence’ - National Memo ›
- #EndorseThis: Plaskett Proves Trump Was 'Directly Involved' In Instigating Capitol Riot - National Memo ›
- Some Republicans ‘Shaken’ By Horrific Riot Video — But Others Don’t Much Care - National Memo ›
- Trump’s Impeachment Lawyer Made A Grave Error On Fox News - National Memo ›
- Republican Senators Joke About Trump’s Deadly Incitement To Rioters - National Memo ›
- Violating Their Oath: Nearly A Third Of GOP Senators Skipped Parts Of Impeachment Trial - National Memo ›
- Why Trump Finds No Refuge In The First Amendment - National Memo ›
- Trump Defense Falsely Blames ‘Antifa’ For Capitol Riot - National Memo ›
- #EndorseThis: Kimmel Says 'Convict Him!' -- And Hilariously Shows How - National Memo ›
- The Senate Must Convict Trump - National Memo ›
- Trump Lawyer: ’There Was No Insurrection’ So He’s Innocent - National Memo ›
- WATCH: Did Trump’s Lawyer Purloin Senate Coasters After Verdict? - National Memo ›