GOP senators opposed to former President Donald Trump's second impeachment trial have been arguing that he was impeached too late in his presidency and that it is unconstitutional to have an impeachment trial after a president has left office. But a new ad from the Progressive Change Campaign Committee tears apart that argument briefly and succinctly.
The ad shows Rep. Jamie Raskin, the lead impeachment manager, responding to a reporter who asked him, "Why even go through with the Senate trial?"
The Maryland Democrat responds: "I don't think anybody would seriously argue that we should establish a precedent where every president, on the way out the door, has two weeks or three weeks or four weeks to try to incite an armed insurrection against the union — and if it succeeds, he becomes a dictator. And if it fails, he's not subject to impeachment or conviction because we just want to let bygones be bygones."
@PattyArquette @iche_me NEW AD: Senate Repubs say it's "too late" to convict Trump — @RepRaskin makes a brilliant a… https://t.co/Tcka4BfXMr— Let's help Biden heal our Nation (@Let's help Biden heal our Nation)1612753712.0
During the ad, text appears on the screen warning, "Acquittal means outgoing presidents can be LAWLESS" while Raskin is heard saying, "This was the most serious presidential crime in the history of the United States of America."
Trump's second impeachment trial is set to get underway on February 9. Following the January 6 assault on the U.S. Capitol Building — where far-right extremists were hoping to prevent Congress from certifying Joe Biden's Electoral College victory — the Democrat-controlled House of Representatives indicted Trump for incitement to insurrection, making him the first president in U.S. history to be impeached twice.
- Trump Revives 'Stop The Steal' Lies In His Impeachment Response ... ›
- Schumer: Chief Justice Declined To Preside Over Trump's Second ... ›
- How To Punish Trump For Sedition Even If Impeachment Fails ... ›
- With Feb. 9 Trial Looming, Five Lawyers Quit Trump's Impeachment ... ›
- WATCH: Impeachment Trial Will Feature Video Of Trump's ... ›
- WATCH Rep. Raskin’s Powerful — And Tearful — Summation At Impeachment Trial - National Memo ›
- VIDEO: Raskin Shows How Trump ‘Praised And Encouraged And Cultivated Violence’ - National Memo ›
- #EndorseThis: Plaskett Proves Trump Was 'Directly Involved' In Instigating Capitol Riot - National Memo ›
- Some Republicans ‘Shaken’ By Horrific Riot Video — But Others Don’t Much Care - National Memo ›
- They Fear Trump More Than They Love America - National Memo ›
- Danziger Draws - National Memo ›
- Trial Spotlights Moment When Trump Tried To Get Pence Killed - National Memo ›
- Senate Acquits Trump Despite Bipartisan Support For Impeachment - National Memo ›
- Trump's Acquittal Does Deep Damage To Our Democracy - National Memo ›