Dr. Fauci Warned Trump Of ’Surprise’ Infectious Disease Outbreak In 2017
Reprinted with permission from Alternet
Dr. Anthony Fauci, now 79, was warning about the deadly potential of pandemics long before COVID-19 first surfaced in Mainland China in late 2019. Reporter McKenzie Sadeghi, in USA Today, fact-checks reports that Fauci warned President Donald Trump's incoming administration about the possibility of a deadly outbreak in early 2017 and examines what the expert immunologist had to say three and a half years ago.
Sadeghi writes that it is inaccurate to claim that Fauci was warning about COVID-19 specifically in 2017, as the disease didn't exist back then. But to say that Fauci was sounding the alarm about pandemics in general, Sadeghi explains, is absolutely correct.
"The claim that Dr. Anthony Fauci, in 2017, warned the (incoming) Trump administration of the likelihood of an infectious disease outbreak is true based on our research," Sadeghi reports. "Fauci did not warn about the coronavirus specifically, as some posts claim, but rather, that a more general 'surprise infectious disease outbreak' would take place."
According to Sadeghi, Fauci — in a January 10, 2017 speech — warned Trump's incoming administration, "There is no question that there will be a challenge to the coming administration in the arena of infectious diseases…. The thing we're extraordinarily confident about is that we're going to see this in the next few years."
That speech, Sadeghi notes, was part of an event billed as "Pandemic Preparedness in the Next Administration," and Georgetown University has posted Fauci's speech on YouTube.
Watch the speech below:
Pandemic Preparedness in the Next Administration: Keynote Address by Anthony S. Fauciwww.youtube.com
- McConnell Admits He Was 'Wrong' On Obama's Pandemic Planning ... ›
- Trump Explains Pandemic Failures: 'I Have A Lot Going On ... ›
- Trump Aide Navarro 'Slam Dunked' By 60 Minutes On Pandemic ... ›
- Dr. Fauci Raises Alarm About Trump’s Lax New CDC Guidelines - National Memo ›
- ’The Numbers Are Real’: Fauci Rebuts Trump On Denial Of Pandemic Death Toll - National Memo ›
- WATCH: Fauci Says He ‘Got In Trouble’ With Trump and Feels Liberated Now - National Memo ›
- Fauci Says Trump’s Lies About Covid-19 ‘Very Likely’ Cost Lives - National Memo ›
- Fauci: We Didn’t Have To Lose 500,000 Virus Victims - National Memo ›
- Dr. Fauci And His Enemies - National Memo ›
- Fauci: U.S. Can Control COVID By Spring 2022 -- If More Get Shots - National Memo ›