Under Trafficking Probe, Gaetz Likens FBI To ‘Worst Days Of Soviet Union’
Reprinted with permission from American Independent
Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-FL) compared efforts by the FBI to combat violent extremism to actions taken by the former Soviet Union, which he called a "repressive security state."
Gaetz appeared on the conservative Newsmax TV's Cortes & Pellegrino to discuss a recent tweet that was released by the FBI.
In the July 11 tweet, the FBI wrote, "family members and peers are often best positioned to witness signs of mobilization to violence" and gives advice on signs to look out for to "prevent homegrown violent extremism."
Gaetz criticized the tone of the tweet.
"This harkens to a darker day," said Gaetz. "Back during the worst days of the Soviet Union, 1 out of every 3 of the folks in that country was providing some sort of information to a centralized governing authority and so snitching really is a tool of the repressive security state."
Gaetz also claimed later in the interview that the tweet wasn't "really a sincere attempt to engage in law enforcement" and "is an attempt to identify people based on their politics."
Despite Gaetz's allegations, neither the FBI's tweet nor the document the tweet links to suggests reporting people over their political beliefs.
The agency is currently in the midst of a massive investigation of the January 6 attack on the Capitol, when several violent extremists supporting former President Donald Trump breached the building in an attempt to overturn Trump's loss in the 2020 presidential election. Over 500 people have been arrested and charged with federal offenses.
In recent months, Gaetz has repeatedly attacked the FBI. Along with Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-GA), he has even pushed a baseless claim that the agency organized the Capitol attack. He has also suggested that the FBI was to blame for the COVID-19 viral outbreak.
Gaetz's attack on the FBI comes at the same time that he has been under federal investigation relating to the possible sex trafficking of an underage girl.
Gaetz has not been alone in attacking the FBI for investigating violent extremism. Sen. Marsha Blackburn (R-TX) recently described the tweet in question from the FBI as "over the top."
Published with permission of The American Independent Foundation.
- "One Of The Weirdest": Tucker Carlson Interviews Gaetz About Sex ... ›
- Gaetz Crony Pleads To Sex Trafficking, Implicates 'Other Men ... ›
- Gaetz Reportedly Procured Women For Himself And Political ... ›
- Greene And Gaetz Now Claim FBI Instigated Capitol Riot - National ... ›
- Feds Probing Gaetz Over Possible Bribery In Bahamas Sex Trip ... ›
- Former Gaetz Fan Hannity Leaves Him For Dead - National Memo ›
- Matt Gaetz Reported Under Investigation By Justice Department For ... ›
- Roger Stone Shilled For Gaetz (And Was Paid To Do It) - National ... ›
- As Ex-Girlfriend Flips For Prosecutors, Gaetz Insists He's Ignoring ... ›
- Greene Pipes Up With 'Support Matt Gaetz' As Scandal Swamps ... ›
- Rep. Matt Gaetz says he's victim of 'organized criminal extortion ... ›
- Roger Stone says Congressman Matt Gaetz is victim of smear ... ›
- Gaetz: DOJ probe into possible relationship with teen girl is part of ... ›
- Gaetz's complaints about Iran hostage scheme will not distract FBI ... ›
- Matt Gaetz Under Investigation, But He Says He's Victim Of Extortion ... ›
- Matt Gaetz says he's under federal investigation for sexual ... ›
- Matt Gaetz Tries to Rope Tucker Carlson Into His FBI Teen Sex ... ›