Reprinted with permission from Alternet
Florida Republican Rep. Matt Gaetz is under investigation for potentially violating sex trafficking laws, according to a new report Tuesday from the New York Times.
Officials are reportedly investigating his relationship with a 17-year-old girl and whether he had sex with her and paid for her to take take trips with him. It is a federal crime to use money to get an underage person to cross state lines for sexual purposes.
"It was not clear how Mr. Gaetz met the girl, believed to be 17 at the time of encounters about two years ago that investigators are scrutinizing, according to two of the people," the report said. "The investigation was opened in the final months of the Trump administration under Attorney General William P. Barr, the two people said. Given Mr. Gaetz's national profile, senior Justice Department officials in Washington — including some appointed by Mr. Trump — were notified of the investigation, the people said."
Earlier on Tuesday, Axios had reported that Gaetz has considered stepping down from Congress early to join the right-wing outlet Newsmax. It's not clear if such considerations are related to the investigation reported by the Times.
The Times reported that the investigation of Gaetz grew out from a "broader investigation into a political ally of his, a local official in Florida named Joel Greenberg, who was indicted last summer on an array of charges, including sex trafficking of a child and financially supporting people in exchange for sex, at least one of whom was an underage girl."
Greenberg shared a picture on Twitter with Gaetz at the White House in June 2019, as the Times pointed out. He has pleaded not guilty to the charges against him.
Gaetz gave a bizarre and puzzling response to the Times when asked about the case, seeming to confirm at least some parts of the report:
Mr. Gaetz said in an interview that his lawyers had been in touch with the Justice Department and that they were told he was the subject, not the target, of an investigation. "I only know that it has to do with women," Mr. Gaetz said. "I have a suspicion that someone is trying to recategorize my generosity to ex-girlfriends as something more untoward."
After this piece and the Times story were initially published, Gaetz gave more extended comments to Axios.
"I have definitely, in my single days, provided for women I've dated. You know, I've paid for flights, for hotel rooms. I've been, you know, generous as a partner. I think someone is trying to make that look criminal when it is not," he said. He added that "absolutely" none of the women were underage."
"The allegations of sexual misconduct against me are false," he told reporter Jonathan Swan. "They are rooted in an extortion effort against my family for $25 million … in exchange for making this case go away."
- Hometown Papers Demand Expulsion Of GOP Lawmakers Who ... ›
- Annual Far-Right Conclave To Feature GOP Hopefuls, Riot ... ›
- Florida Bar Censures Rep. Gaetz For Witness Intimidation - National ... ›
- When Matt Gaetz Met Up With White Nationalists At CPAC - National ... ›
- VIDEO: Matt Gaetz Probe Approved ‘At Highest Levels’ Of DOJ Last Summer - National Memo ›
- Indictment: Gaetz Pal Greenberg Misused County Funds For Cryptocurrency, Sports Memorabilia - National Memo ›
- Kevin McCarthy Won’t Discuss Gaetz, But Roger Stone Threatens Times Reporter - National Memo ›
- Barr Avoided Public Appearances With Gaetz After Sex Probe Began - National Memo ›
- Florida Law Firm Refutes Gaetz’s ‘False And Defamatory’ Extortion Claims - National Memo ›
- Gaetz And Greenberg Were Taped Entering County Tax Office On Weekend Night - National Memo ›
- Gaetz Reportedly Procured Women For Himself And Political Cronies - National Memo ›
- Fox News Went 30 Hours Without Mentioning Gaetz Scandal - National Memo ›
- Gaetz Boasted Of ‘Access’ To Woman Via Alleged Sex Trafficker - National Memo ›
- Greene Pipes Up With ’Support Matt Gaetz’ As Scandal Swamps Him - National Memo ›
- Former Gaetz Fan Hannity Leaves Him For Dead - National Memo ›
- Danziger Draws - National Memo ›
- Report: DOJ Investigating Matt Gaetz Over Sexual Relationship With ... ›
- Feds probe Fla. Rep. Matt Gaetz for sex trafficking: report ›
- Matt Gaetz Was Lone Vote Against Human Trafficking Bill in 2017 ›
- Matt Gaetz defends lone no vote on anti-human trafficking bill ›
- Gaetz Says DOJ Probe Into Him Is Part of 'Criminal Extortion' Scheme ›
- Matt Gaetz Being Investigated Over Possible Sexual Relationship ... ›
- Sex trafficking probe of Rep. Matt Gaetz emerges from Joel ... ›
- Matt Gaetz Under Investigation Over Possible Sex Trafficking - The ... ›
- Florida Rep. Matt Gaetz was literally the only person to vote against ... ›