When Matt Gaetz Met Up With White Nationalists At CPAC
Reprinted with permission from Daily Kos
Trumpist Republican politicians like Florida Congressman Matt Gaetz appear to be mimicking their role model's ability to send comforting signals out to white nationalists while managing to keep them at arm's length for the sake of plausible deniability. He showed how it's done this past weekend at the Conservative Political Action Committee's annual convention in Orlando.
A cluster of young white nationalists attending the simultaneous America First Political Action Committee convention—organized by notorious "Groyper Army" leader Nicholas Fuentes—invaded the CPAC gathering, where Fuentes has been banned, on Saturday. They managed to find Gaetz, who took photos with one of the group's leaders—an outspoken neo-Nazi who uses the nom de plume "Speckzo"—and briefly conversed with them, apparently acknowledging his familiarity with Fuentes.
The video of the interaction shows one of the Groypers asking Gaetz if he was familiar with Fuentes. Gaetz made an indistinct reply while walking away with an aide, pointing a raised index finger in the direction of the young men.
Gaetz has a history of such dalliances with far-right extremists. In 2018, he invited notorious white nationalist Chuck Johnson to the State of the Union address, giving Johnson one of his tickets to the event. Gaetz claimed disingenuously that Johnson had just happened to drop by his office the day before to discuss their mutual political interests—which Johnson claimed were marijuana, bitcoin, Trump, and animal welfare—and a spare ticket had become available.
In 2019, Gaetz hired a white nationalist named Darren Beattie to work in his office as a speechwriter. Beattie had been previously fired from the Trump administration after his connections to white-nationalist organizations was exposed. Beattie later was appointed by Trump to an international commission that oversees preservation of Holocaust-related historical sites, much to the dismay of the Anti-Defamation League. Gaetz later ran into trouble with House ethics rules for using taxpayer funds for Beattie's salary.
Fuentes himself had attempted to enter the CPAC convention hall last Saturday with a group of fellow "Groypers," but was turned away by organizers and security. "CPAC sucks. It's gay," Fuentes told the people who had gathered to watch the confrontation. "We made our point. Masks don't work. CPAC is gay. They're not conservative."
As Twitter user Sarlacc Attack posted afterward, a number of the Groypers posted photos and videos from their excursion on Telegram. One of the most prolific of these is the man who uses the "Speckzo" pseudonym, who posted photos of himself with both Gaetz and Fuentes.
"Speckzo," whose identity is currently unknown but who has boasted on social media that he lives in New York and makes $100,000 annually from his online video rants, is noteworthy for openly embracing Nazism, denying the Holocaust, and expressing sympathy for Adolf Hitler. He also has said he considers electoral democracy a failure, blaming women's suffrage and allowing poor people to vote, adding that he considers monarchy the best political system. In one of his online rants, he also defended the enslavement of Black people, claiming they were better off under the system of slavery.
"Speckzo" also managed to get a selfie portrait with Arizona Congressman Paul Gosar, who addressed the America First crowd on Saturday, a day after sharing a panel at CPAC.
Fuentes' "Groyper Army" has been intimately involved in the extremist right's efforts to keep Trump in the presidency. Fuentes—who vowed to "destroy the GOP" if it failed to defend Trump adequately—spoke at both pro-Trump "Stop the Steal" rallies in Washington, D.C., on November 14 and on December 12, accompanied by his followers, and was present on January 6 at the pro-Trump rally preceding the attack on the U.S. Capitol. A member of the "Groyper Army," 22-year-old Riley Williams of Pennsylvania, faces multiple charges for her role in the January 6 insurrection, and is believed to have stolen a laptop computer from House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's office.
Gaetz no doubt will claim he had no idea who he was posing with on Saturday and brush off the association. But the problematic aspect of the selfies he took is less who he associates with, but instead the kind of people who seek out his approval.
- 'Unite The Right' Rally Had Nothing To Do With Statues - National ... ›
- 'No Ethics' Gaetz Roasted For Defending 'Cancun Cruz' - National ... ›
- Florida Bar Censures Rep. Gaetz For Witness Intimidation - National ... ›
- It's Time To Cancel 'Cancel Culture' - National Memo ›
- Destroying Conservatism Will Be Marjorie Taylor Greene's Only ... ›
- Annual Far-Right Conclave To Feature GOP Hopefuls, Riot ... ›
- Rep. Gosar Reiterates Support For Neo-Nazi ‘America First’ Group - National Memo ›
- Matt Gaetz Reported Under Investigation By Justice Department For Underage Sex Trafficking - National Memo ›
- "One Of The Weirdest": Tucker Carlson Interviews Gaetz About Sex Crime Probe - National Memo ›
- Greene Pipes Up With ’Support Matt Gaetz’ As Scandal Swamps Him - National Memo ›
- 'Not Surprised': As Gaetz Sinks In Scandal, Trump And His Allies Remain Silent - National Memo ›
- Former Gaetz Fan Hannity Leaves Him For Dead - National Memo ›
- Gaetz Tells Pro-Trump Women’s Group : 'I’m Not Going Anywhere' - National Memo ›
- Greene Says She And Gaetz Are 'Taking Charge' In GOP 'Civil War' - National Memo ›
- Newsmax Has 'No Plans To Hire Rep. Gaetz' ›
- Gaetz Probe Intensifies With Scrutiny Of ‘Central Florida Political Scene’ - National Memo ›
- Ex-Marine And Sheriff’s Deputy Plotted Neo-Nazi Terror Spree - National Memo ›
- Gaetz And Greene’s ‘America First’ Tour Booted Out Of Three Venues - National Memo ›
- Carlson Praises Gaetz For Obnoxious Behavior During Zelensky Speech - National Memo ›
- Until Final Vote, McCarthy Opponents Raised Money Off Speaker Debacle - National Memo ›
- GOP lawmaker condemned for inviting Holocaust denier to State of ... ›
- Meet the 11 biggest white nationalists speaking at CPAC 2020 ... ›
- Rep. Matt Gaetz hires ex-White House aide ousted for white ... ›
- Matt Gaetz's State of the Union guest? A white nationalist from Vegas ›
- More than a dozen Republicans tell House they can't attend votes ... ›
- GOP House members cited pandemic to vote by proxy while at CPAC ›
- House Republicans Slated For CPAC Blame Absence From ... ›
- 3 key takeaways from Friday's CPAC event: Speakers stand behind ... ›
- Republicans sued over proxy voting, now use it to attend CPAC ›