Reprinted with permission from Alternet
Tuesday night's bombshell report that Rep. Matt Gaetz is under DOJ investigation for a possible relationship with a 17-year old took another wild turn when New York Times reporter Katie Benner revealed Attorney General Bill Barr or officials in his office approved the investigation.
Benner also went further in the interview with MSNBC's Rachel Maddow on Tuesday night, revealing that the Justice Department investigation began not late last year, but earlier, at the end of last summer, "so it's been going on for more than six months."
"This is a serious investigation that was serious enough that even the highest levels of the Justice Department, including the Office of Attorney General Bill Barr, said that it should continue," Benner explained.
She also questioned why Rep. Gaetz went public with specific details after the New York Times published its report, saying that by doing so the Florida Republican congressman "blew up" the FBI's investigation by naming the former DOJ official Gaetz claims is blackmailing him and his family in a $25 million "extortion" scheme.
"I think one of the reasons why he has talked publicly about this extortion and one of the reasons why he's publicly said that the FBI has asked his own father to wear a wire is in order to try to get people to not pay attention to the fact [that] the Trump administration thought it worthy to investigate him," Benner said
"In publicly talking about the extortion plot that he's described and publicly saying his father wore a wire, he's basically destroying and blowing up the FBI investigation, which is in itself something you would think would be against his own interest," Benner added.
Gaetz is denying he did anything wrong, including denying having a sexual relationship with a 17-year old girl, and instead blamed the former DOJ official. But Benner said both stories could be true: there is an investigation into his actions authorized at the highest levels of the DOJ, and that a former DOJ official found out and is blackmailing him. She did not state Gaetz's extortion claim was true, only that it is possible.
- Florida Bar Censures Rep. Gaetz For Witness Intimidation - National ... ›
- Matt Gaetz Reported Under Investigation By Justice Department For ... ›
- Kevin McCarthy Won’t Discuss Gaetz, But Roger Stone Threatens Times Reporter - National Memo ›
- Barr Avoided Public Appearances With Gaetz After Sex Probe Began - National Memo ›
- Florida Law Firm Refutes Gaetz’s ‘False And Defamatory’ Extortion Claims - National Memo ›
- Gaetz Reportedly Procured Women For Himself And Political Cronies - National Memo ›
- Gaetz Boasted Of ‘Access’ To Woman Via Alleged Sex Trafficker - National Memo ›
- Greene Pipes Up With ’Support Matt Gaetz’ As Scandal Swamps Him - National Memo ›
- Report: Cooperating Since 2020, Greenberg Told FBI About Gaetz Paying Women For Sex - National Memo ›
- Gaetz: DOJ probe into possible relationship with teen girl is part of ... ›
- Matt Gaetz says he's under federal investigation for sexual ... ›
- DOJ investigates whether Rep. Matt Gaetz had relationship with teen ›
- Rep. Matt Gaetz denies sexual relationship with underage girl amid ... ›
- Report: DOJ Investigating Whether Matt Gaetz Had Sexual ... ›
- Matt Gaetz Under Investigation Over Possible Sex Trafficking - The ... ›
- Matt Gaetz investigated for sex trafficking of teenage girl, report says ›