Reprinted with permission from Alternet
Rep. Adam Kinzinger of Illinois is one of former President Donald Trump's most outspoken critics in the Republican Party, and Trump supporters would love to remove him from Congress via a GOP primary in the 2022 midterms. But the conservative congressman has some allies on the right, including former House Speaker Paul Ryan — who according to Politico's Shia Kapos, will head a fundraiser for Kinzinger this Monday, May 24.
Kapos explains, "It's a decisive move against ex-President Donald Trump, who has set his sights on Republicans who voted to impeach him. Kinzinger is one of 10 Republicans who joined Democrats to impeach Trump for his role in the January 6 attack on the Capitol. The Illinois Republican has continued to carry the anti-Trump mantle, and it's no surprise that Ryan would back Kinzinger. Ryan, who's had a long-running feud with Trump, criticized Republicans who wouldn't certify the Electoral College results that validated Joe Biden's election as president."
Kinzinger has been a major thorn in Trump's side. Following the 2020 presidential election, Kinzinger called out Trump's debunked claims of widespread voter fraud as total nonsense and acknowledged Joe Biden as president-elect. And after the January 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol Building, Kinzinger and Rep. Liz Cheney of Wyoming were among the minority of House Republicans who championed Trump's impeachment.
In 2018, Ryan — who was House speaker at the time and had been Mitt Romney's running mate in the 2012 presidential election — announced that he would not be seeking reelection. Ryan said that he wanted to spend more time with his family, but it was obvious that he was disenchanted with Trumpism and believed that the 2018 midterms would be bad for Republicans.
- Senate Republicans Brawl Over Trump's Coup Plot - National Memo ›
- McCarthy Facing GOP Backlash Over Cheney Ouster - National Memo ›
- It's Time For The Republican Party To Split - National Memo ›
- First GOP Congressman Urges Gaetz To Resign - National Memo ›
- Trump Blasts Former Speaker Ryan As A ‘Curse’ On Party - National Memo ›
- Massive Democratic Turnout In Virginia Primary Bodes Ill For GOP - National Memo ›
- McCarthy: Trump Wants To Be House Speaker If GOP Regains Majority ›
- Trump Ripped Former GOP Allies In Furious Interview - National Memo ›
- GOP Trump nemesis Adam Kinzinger to get fundraising boost from ... ›
- Paul Ryan to Hold Fundraiser for Adam Kinzinger ›
- Paul Ryan to headline fundraiser for Rep. Kinzinger ›
- Paul Ryan Aide, Rep. Adam Kinzinger Received Steele Dossier ... ›
- Paul Ryan To Speak At Fundraiser For Rep. Adam Kinzinger, An ... ›
- Paul Ryan to headline Kinzinger fundraiser | TheHill ›
- Rep. Kinzinger, Paul Ryan aide received Steele dossier early, court ... ›
- Paul Ryan to headline fundraiser for Adam Kinzinger - Axios ›
- Paul Ryan to headline fundraiser for anti-Trump Republican Adam ... ›