Reprinted with permission from Alternet
Following a Supreme Court ruling on the matter, the House Intelligence Committee has narrowed a subpoena request to focus more specifically on Donald Trump and the immediate members of his family: Eric Trump, Don Jr., and Ivanka Trump.
The subpoena, which was originally broader and issued to Trump's longtime lender Deutsche Bank, "no longer seeks financial records for any other members of President Trump's family," according to a memo released by the House Intelligence Chair Adam Schiff. Schiff added that the panel had taken action voluntarily in order to "accelerate resolution" of the matter.
According to TPM, the move came after the Supreme Court laid out a new test last month instructing courts to weigh congressional subpoenas targeting a sitting president against whether the information can be obtained elsewhere, how broad the subpoena is, its legislative purpose, and how burdensome complying would be for a president.
Trump had been fighting the original subpoena for over a year and will surely battle the newly abridged subpoena as well.
In the memo, Schiff said the financial records request were part of the panel's continuing investigation into "counterintelligence risks arising from the President's foreign financial ties, including whether foreign powers possess financial leverage over the President."
- Giuliani Contradicts Trump Claim That IRS Is Auditing His Taxes ... ›
- #ShowUsYourTaxes: Here's Every Time Donald Trump Has Said He ... ›
- Why Does America Want To See Trump's Tax Returns? - National ... ›
- 9 Key Points About Trump's Income Taxes (And Many More Questions) ›
- How Tax Secrecy Protects Trump — And Hurts You - National Memo ›
- Bombshell: NY Times Got Trump Tax Returns — And He Paid Almost Nothing - National Memo ›
- Eric Trump Claims His Father ‘Literally Saved Christianity’ - National Memo ›
- Eric Trump And Don Jr. Whining Constantly: ‘It Isn’t Fair’ - National Memo ›
- Ivanka Enraged By Report Of Criminal Inquiry That May Implicate Her - National Memo ›
- As Trumps' Legal Jeopardy Mounts, Will Ivanka Snitch On Daddy? - National Memo ›
- Investigating Hunter Biden? Probe Trump’s Taxes Too - National Memo ›
- Supreme Court Rules That Prosecutor Can Get Trump Tax Returns - National Memo ›
- Trump Enraged By Supreme Court Refusal To Shield His Taxes From Prosecutors - National Memo ›
- ‘Millions Of Pages’: Manhattan DA Now Has Trump Tax Documents - National Memo ›
- Taxpayers Paid Thousands For Eric Trump’s Trips To Scotland - National Memo ›
- Manhattan DA Hired Top Litigator For Trump Probe, Interviewed Cohen Again ›