Renewing 'Privilege' Claims, Meadows Defies Select Committee Subpoena
Reprinted with permission from AlterNet
Former Trump White House chief of staff Mark Meadowshas just done a complete turn-around and is now refusing to co-operate with the bipartisan House Select Committee on the January 6 Attack.
“We now must decline the opportunity to appear voluntarily for a deposition,” Meadows said through his attorney in a letter to the Committee Tuesday, according to CNN’s Kaitlan Collins.
Meadows is now claiming he’s covered by executive privilege, which is legally questionable at best, and most legal experts say neither he nor his former boss, Donald Trump, are, since privilege is controlled by only the sitting, not former president.
“We agreed to provide thousands of pages of responsive documents and Mr. Meadows was willing to appear voluntarily, not under compulsion of the Select Committee’s subpoena to him, for a deposition to answer questions about non-privileged matters,” the letter from Meadows’ attorney, George J. Terwilliger II says, according to a CNN article. “Now actions by the Select Committee have made such an appearance untenable.”
“In short, we now have every indication from the information supplied to us last Friday – upon which Mr. Meadows could expect to be questioned – that the Select Committee has no intention of respecting boundaries concerning Executive Privilege,” Terwilliger also said.
- Federal Grand Jury Indicts Bannon For Contempt Of Congress ... ›
- White House Chief Of Staff Loved Oversight, Until Trump Hired Him ... ›
- Garland Announces Bannon Indicted On Two Counts Of Contempt ... ›
- Tell The Truth About The Coup -- Or Go Directly To Jail - National ... ›
- New Subpoenas Fly To Trump Aides -- And Indictments May Follow ... ›
- Select Committee Subpoenas Trump Aides Who Staged January 6 Events - National Memo ›
- House And Senate Republicans Briefed On Coup PowerPoint Before Capitol Riot - National Memo ›
- Select Committee Votes Contempt Charge For Ex-Trump Aide Meadows - National Memo ›
- Cheney Reveals Texts Of Trump Allies Begging Him To Act During Capitol Riot - National Memo ›