Reprinted with permission from Alternet
Rep. John Katko (R-N.Y.), the first Republican lawmaker to publicly support efforts to impeach former President Donald Trump, is speaking out about the deadly Capitol riots that erupted on Jan. 6 as lawmakers worked to complete the Electoral College certification.
Although the American public watched in shock and dismay as the disturbing series of events unfolded, Katko insists the riots were far worse than reported on television. During an interview with Syracuse.com, Katko shared details about the day of the deadly U.S. Capitol riots.
While he could not offer specific details about the classified briefings he has received, he did reveal that the incident was far worse than reported.
"I've had a lot of classified briefings on it, and it's deeply troubling," Katko told Syracuse.com. "I was left with a profound sense that it was much worse than people realized."
He went on to stress the importance of taking a full objective look at the situation, how the series of events unfolded, and who else should be held accountable.
"We need to have a full stem-to-stern look back on this to see what happened, how it happened, the sequence of events, who contributed to it, and how we make sure it never happens again," he said.
Katko's latest remarks come just weeks after he spoke out against Trump's rhetoric and antics. He noted the president's misinformation campaigns on social media and his speech during the "Save America" rally that provoked the Capitol siege as he stressed the importance of holding the president accountable for his actions, according to Newsweek.
He insisted that the former president "deliberately promoted baseless theories that created a combustible environment of misinformation and division."
Katko added, "To allow the president of the United States to incite this attack without consequence is a direct threat to the future of our democracy and to our security."
While the former president has departed from Washington, D.C., he still has a number of legal investigations to contend with in the coming weeks.
- Trump Faces Calls For Immediate Impeachment Following Capitol ... ›
- Notorious White Nationalists Identified In Capitol Rioting - National ... ›
- 'Totally Appropriate': Trump Insists Speech Inciting Capitol Riot Was ... ›
- How Militia Gangs Communicated During Capitol Riot - National ... ›
- GOP Leader Cheney Blasts Trump — And Will Vote To Impeach Him ... ›
- Ten Republicans Join Democrats To Impeach Trump Again ... ›
- Proud Boys Defendant Blasts Trump: ‘You Left Us On The Battlefield Bloody And Alone’ - National Memo ›
- Was The Insurrection Just Another Day In America? ›
- January 6 Capitol Riot Arrests ›
- McConnell Rebukes Trump For His Role In Capitol Riot ... ›
- Proud Boys organizer Joe Biggs charged in Capitol riot ›
- Records: Trump allies behind rally that ignited Capitol riot ›
- Rep. John Katko: US Capitol attack was 'much worse than people ... ›
- Rep. John Katko: Why I became the first Republican lawmaker to ... ›